Cover vs Query letters

The main reason is they are afraid of getting viruses through attachments, so they don't want you to send anything attached to the email at first. Some get around this by asking you to include the sample in the email body, as Anya mentioned, and others have a private upload system that protects them from viruses and allows for a low labour - automated - process. Either way, they don't want to take the risk unless they know they are interested in what they are reading and can trust the sender more than somebody who just spammed them their manuscript.

I don't blame them, the internet world is getting to be an increasingly dodgy place.

Which is all well and good, and I sympathise, but they don't need to tie it down to a single page and have an expectation of a formula that in no way reflects the book, or the kind of writer we are.

The Hiassen and Pratchetts of this world are suited to sound bite, their style is snappy, it reflects their books.

I am selling mine on a query that absolutely doesn't reflect the style, or feel of the book, because it's snappy. Which means when they get to it, and realise the MC isn't a gung ho super hero (and that's the point of him, he isn't supposed to, he's supposed to be the antithesis of the super hero trope), they're going to put it down and say, hey this isn't what she sold. No, because saying in thirty words that I have a dreamy dillis of a hero who's going to take a while to shape up - hopefully in an enjoyable fashion - before stepping up to the mark, isn't snappy. Oh, and he's going to have a nervous breakdown and still be the MC... Yawn, move on.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree that a business model that reduces us to a two paragraph holywood trailer, and chooses a book based on that, is the right one.

But, hey, it's the rules, so we play along.

Anyway, Harebrain... need an accomplice? :D

I think we'd need to know some publishers...

I'm considering: Rescued from prison by a legendary war-hero dressed all in white, who wants your help to slay wicked magicians and save the innocent. Who could resist?

Which isn't a very fair representation of the book's tone. On the other hand, I read the query for The Demon's Lexicon (which, as I'm sure I've bored on before, is one of my favourite books -- brilliant and dark and funny). It didn't seem to me to be a very good representation of the book itself -- at least not the version that ended up being published -- although it was an excellent query.

but they don't need to tie it down to a single page and have an expectation of a formula that in no way reflects the book, or the kind of writer we are.

Sure they do. It's a test. Like the one sentence synopsis some ask for, they want to see if you can sell them the book with one or two lines, that you are capable of describing what happens without getting dragged down with details and over-explaining. Some people aren't capable of writing short blurbs because they try to make it too complicated, or worry about details they don't need to. I believe somebody mentioned this before during the AR open door submissions, that if your query letter is bloated, then likely your manuscript will be too - and that's something they don't want. So they test you in the query/cover letter.

I suspect you might be stressing yourself out needlessly, Springs? With that minor amendment, the hook I commented on was good, I didn't think it strayed from the style of your writing at all or mislead the reader - based on what I remember. Of course I haven't seen the mini-synopsis yet, but I'm sure you don't need to force yourself to promote it differently to what the book actually is. That would be very bad.

Relax. :)

Which is all well and good, and I sympathise, but they don't need to tie it down to a single page and have an expectation of a formula that in no way reflects the book, or the kind of writer we are.

The Hiassen and Pratchetts of this world are suited to sound bite, their style is snappy, it reflects their books.

I am selling mine on a query that absolutely doesn't reflect the style, or feel of the book, because it's snappy. Which means when they get to it, and realise the MC isn't a gung ho super hero (and that's the point of him, he isn't supposed to, he's supposed to be the antithesis of the super hero trope), they're going to put it down and say, hey this isn't what she sold. No, because saying in thirty words that I have a dreamy dillis of a hero who's going to take a while to shape up - hopefully in an enjoyable fashion - before stepping up to the mark, isn't snappy. Oh, and he's going to have a nervous breakdown and still be the MC... Yawn, move on.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree that a business model that reduces us to a two paragraph holywood trailer, and chooses a book based on that, is the right one.

But, hey, it's the rules, so we play along.

Anyway, Harebrain... need an accomplice? :D

Agree with all of this exactly. It's bloody annoying and I don't like it. Why can't they all just agree on what they want?

If I was a publisher or agent, my guidelines would be: Tell me the genre so that I know I can lob it in the bin if you're sending me horror when I only publish fantasy and send me three sample chapters. I will then read them and if I like them, I'll ask to see more, if I don't like them, jog on.

Simple.

If you want to see what a good US query looks like take the time to read through the archives of Queryshark (queryshark.blogspot.com) where US agent Janet Reid dissects people's queries.

I love Queryshark, but some of these places ask for three sentences -- THREE! -- and her queries (and those that Kristin Nelson has in Pub Rants) seem longer than that.

*sob*

I've looked at all these things people tell you to look at and they all like to disagree with one another. Tis daft, I say. Daft.

It's a hoop to jump through. We should just be glad no one's set it on fire (yet).

I love Queryshark, but some of these places ask for three sentences...
They're obviously tempting you to use a comma splice or two to fit the information in. They're probably also trying to screen out those who like to use semicolons. But when a group of vengeful aspiring writers begins a terror campaign, it becomes a case of Don't Publish and Be Damned....

;):)

But when a group of vengeful aspiring writers begins a terror campaign, it becomes a case of Don't Publish and Be Damned....
;):)

This is something I'm shaping up for and already I'm not looking forward to submissions. I think I can distil over two years of work into three lines, but it I don't have to like it. It all sounds like a confusing minefield to trap the unprepared.

If we are having a terror group, can I be the treasurer? I’m well qualified for the role and finance departments are of course well known for their suicide missions… I’m not in the least bit cowardly or anything, and I promise to be very supportive. (From a very safe distance.)

That terror group isn't us, and not only for legal reasons. It's the driving force behind the plot of the exciting new novel, Don't Publish and Be Damned, whose three-sentence query (one needing a bit of work) that was.

Think of it more as a showcase for how good your writing is. A good writer can entice a reader in in a couple of hundred words. That, along with a premise the agent thinks they can sell, is what they are looking for. Good writing. They can weed out a lot from just the query (really very easy). And queries are no more formulaic in nature than a book is. My queries absolutely reflect the kinds of books and the kind of writer I am. That's the point.

A lot of agents, if they don't specify they really don't want pages, aren't averse to say the first five being pasted under the query (but this is something you might want to check if they are an agent that blogs etc)

I am selling mine on a query that absolutely doesn't reflect the style, or feel of the book, because it's snappy. Which means when they get to it, and realise the MC isn't a gung ho super hero (and that's the point of him, he isn't supposed to, he's supposed to be the antithesis of the super hero trope), they're going to put it down and say, hey this isn't what she sold.
Then this isn't the right query for your book. There are plenty of books without a gung ho super hero MC out there. They got out there by the write being able to write enticing copy. Good writing.

I can. Know why? I've read a heck of a lot of queries. Not many of them made me want to read the book. This is really what your query is all about. Making the agent want to read your book (in much the same way back cover copy often makes a reader open the first page of a book. So readers often use this model too to decide which book to read)

Yes, queries are a royal pain in the derrière. They aren't easy. If they were, agents probably wouldn't use them because they are very useful for initial sorting.

But think of it like this. Say you get an agent. You're going to have to write a proposal (which is like a query, only the agent sends it to editors). Your next book, you're going to have to do that again.

Learning to write a good query is as hard as learning to write a book, imo, but for many reasons, you're going to need to do it if you want people to read your books (If you self publish, still got to write the cover copy, which is...like a query)

ETA: The reason agents use the query model is 99 times out of a hundred (or more) it works.

PS: you can always check out Slush Pile Hell to see just how easy it is to reject some queries. And for a good giggle.

Last edited:
I think it is worth pointing that the query i am specifically referring to is the one that requires a single statement, in less than 100 words, and nothing else. No bio. No extra bit at the bottom.

I have no problem producing synopses - or rather no more than anyone else - or producing a polite here is the book, heres me, thankyou letter. I actually agree if you can't sum up your book in a sentence you should be able to, and i still use the one sentence from AR at the top of my symopsis.

What i was specifically ranting about - and it was a rant, sorry, at the end of a long day - is where the entire book is being sold on a formulaic: it must be snappy, it must be under 100 words, it must only have two sentences in the first paragraph, all of which i have been advised to, read logs advising to, or agents' websites requesting.

Can i tell you what the book is about in under fifteen words. Yes. Will that involve a dramatic hook. No. And therein lies the problem, it now has a dramatic hook... But it doesn't describe the book, because the ones that do - which either i or others have come up with, all perfectly good - don't fit the formula.

So, specifically i have no problems with the query process, i approach it like a business letter, a proposal. But i do feel one type of query format doesn't support the model of getting an accurate description of it in order to make a judgement.

It is like shortisting for interview; lots of companies do it by criterion, but it isn't the best way to get a result. It is just a way to reduce the numbers you are looking at, but it isn't what gets you the best person.

What i was specifically ranting about - and it was a rant, sorry, at the end of a long day - is where the entire book is being sold on a formulaic: it must be snappy, it must be under 100 words, it must only have two sentences in the first paragraph, all of which i have been advised to, read logs advising to, or agents' websites requesting.

Ahhh I see.

Wow. Never seen any agents requesting that. I've seen many suggest that approx 200-250 words is the sweet spot etc etc. But not demand under 100 with a set number of sentences in the first para! o_O How very odd. (FWIW my query - the one that got me my agent - would have failed at all of those demands - except perhaps snappy. Tight writing will always help. Though if I really really liked the agent I'd have thought about giving it a go - it must be possible...)

If you don't mind me asking, where have you read these "guidelines"?

This made me cry with laughter.

I read that you should aim for three sentences -- but I must say I've never read a successful query that short.