3D Printers

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Anybody thinking of getting one?

I am but I'm not entirely sure yet so I've sent away for a book on the subject. I'm not too great with 3D programmes but there seems to be a host of files available for download (both pay and free).

For me, getting one would just be out of curiousity and the fascinating idea of having this kind of manufacturing capability in the home. I guess it's a technology fix that I'm after. There are probably other cheaper bits of tech I could buy but this one is the one that grabs my attention.

Currently the cheapest printer I've seen is about £1200. It's a helluva lot of money so I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about this. Maybe I should wait a while and hope the price drops significantly.

Its my understanding that they are a newer method of manufacturing things.

I'm interested to see what NASA does with theirs. Someone said they had a call out for people to develop printable food.
They had various nutrition powders that one could use to print with. And were looking for a program that one could program in one's nutritional needs and it would calibrate the printing powders to met that, while still forming delicious food that you would want to eat.

Its my understanding that they are a newer method of manufacturing things.

I'm interested to see what NASA does with theirs. Someone said they had a call out for people to develop printable food.
They had various nutrition powders that one could use to print with. And were looking for a program that one could program in one's nutritional needs and it would calibrate the printing powders to met that, while still forming delicious food that you would want to eat.

Sounds feasible. Getting closer to the replicator. :)

I'm thinking of trying to print photographs in relief (if I get one).

I would love to get one, but I can't afford it. I'm not sure what I'd print with it, maybe musical instrument style lamps, but all the same it would be cool to get one and start playing with it.
I hear they are getting cheaper and I think that Maplin are now selling them in the UK.

I got one a few years ago. The quality isn't all that great, but it is a first generation model. Considered replacing it for a newer one, just haven't got around to it.

Have designed and printed stuff. Glitch - Thingiverse. I know, imaginative user name :rolleyes:

I see. Kind of like the buffer memory of an ordinary printer I suppose. Thanks for the info:)

Update. I've been advised by a colleague who knows more than me about them, to hold off for another year at least (so I've gone and bought myself a new camera instead:D)

Apart from printing mini-figurines of myself and my family, in a variety of poses, I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Anyone know how I can scan myself so I can print me?

I know that some folk have managed to modify the Xbox Kinect (not sure of spelling not having an Xbox) and use it as a scanner to print peoples faces etc.

I'm intrigued.

What will next year's (being optimistic) models bring? More functionality? Use of more than one material at a time? Cheaper?

I'm 'told' that eventually the types used by industry will become more mass market. These are printers utilising laser and powder rather than spools of plastic and heated nozzle/extruder. The fact that a laser is involved would probably mean much more precision in manufacturing of items. These models will likely be more expensive than the current crop but the current crop will probably drop significantly in price (so I'm told).

I own a printrbot+. But being a uni student on a budget I have barely used it as the filament can be expensive. I am in Australia. Waiting for filament extruder prices to go down so I can then make my own. Hopefully even recycle my own plastic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Astro Pen Publishing 4