Good mapping software?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm looking to start work on proper maps: countries and a city.

I could just just a normal graphics program, but graphics isn't my strong point.

Is there any mapping software out there anyone can recommend? One that I can especially use for building a city?

I figure there must be something out there?

That's the main bit of the discussion, but I'm sure a few people referred to the software they used for making maps.

Cheers, NF - there's a good detailed thread at that site - going through it now:
List of Mapping Software

That's the main bit of the discussion, but I'm sure a few people referred to the software they used for making maps.

I saw mention of general art programs and freehand drawing - neither of which are strengths of mine. Ideally I'm hoping something nearer to drag-and-drop is out there! :D

Sounds like Campaign Cartographer 3 might be the best route for you, then.

FYI if you go the Adobe or GIMP route, there are also some custom images to use, like trees, mountains, etc. that you can get for free. You can then just insert them, change their relative size, etc. It works pretty well.

But another FYI: this stuff generally takes forever to do.

Ah, sorry.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty rubbish at art but doing pieces in detail by hand and then transferring them to the computer seemed to work well. Anyway, good luck, and I hope the progs Nerds Feather suggested are what you're after.

It depends on the sort of map you want to do. I wouldn't call myself a very good artist, but I'm pretty pleased with the progress of this map:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...12676156.83976.340194722678075&type=1&theater

Which I'm creating using Photoshop and an erosion simulation software called Wilbur.

Blimey, that's good... there's a dragon in there, as well. I hope that's the 'dragonridge mountains' running along his chin. Although, if they haven't seen it from space, would they know the shape?

Blimey, that's good... there's a dragon in there, as well. I hope that's the 'dragonridge mountains' running along his chin. Although, if they haven't seen it from space, would they know the shape?

Depends how good they are at surveying and mapping, doesn't it? Also, it's quite possible that the silhouettes of the mountain ridges would look the way a dragon's spine is thought to look from the side.

Nerds Feather, that map looks great.

I was planning on using the same approach as last time, but I might have a furkle with CC3 and see how that goes.

Edited extra bit: that said, £30 for something that's a maybe is too much for me right now.

Last edited:

Which bit?

I'd love to be able to easily(ish) create a map too - especially a city map.

I used to draw them in pencil back in the day and scan to PC but that was aeons ago. Now I have Photoshop Elements and GIMP and would rather use one of those.

I'm unlikely to update Photoshop (got it free via work), so not sure if I'm better off learning techniques in GIMP instead?

GIMP and Photoshop are basically the same.

Something like my map is relatively straight forward to create in a program like that, and doesn't require significant artistic skill.