Story Opening -Indecision - Alternate 600w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Geoff

You’re probably getting fed up with this topic by now,:) but here is a different take on the opening scene. This is probably less hooky than the other, but in a way I think it’s more me. I don’t know which is better, though.:confused: If you detect a faintly humorous or ironic tone, it does surface from time to time in the rest of the story.
You’ll note that I have scrapped the typical city gate scene entirely, and replaced it with a half-liner.
********************************​

Book II – City
Chapter 1

On the horizon, Starsin saw a new thing. It raised itself out of the cultivated plain and became a wall.

Starsin thought to himself that this was like the beginning of a story, where the hero and his four companions ride towards a fine walled city where they will have a new adventure. He wasn't sure about the hero, but he did have four companions, the tall, thin adventuress Lannaira, the restless, blonde village girl Shell, the Northern chieftain's daughter Ussha, now sadly maimed, and the tribal man Rurnik who had come from the North with Ussha. And their sho'ats were on the road that led to the northern gate of Chazu, the Virnals' eastern capital.

While in the hands of the slavers, he had fervently wished that he was in Chazu, and now its walls were taking shape before his eyes. He wondered if he was less likely to be murdered here than anywhere else. Lannaira, slim sword strapped to her belt, didn't seem to think so.

The road crossed the moat by a permanent bridge of wood. A pair of arches divided the road under a squat stone tower; part of Chazu's outer defensive wall. All three women in Starsin's party wore loose jackets and trews that hid their figures. Of the the first two one was fair the other dark; the third following behind had short reddish hair.

The woman with short red hair kneed her animal to close up with him.

Ahead was some delay, a congestion of people and carts. Voices shouted, urging the travellers forward. Carts creaked into motion. He looked up. Some way inside the city, three slim towers with shafts of a startling turquoise blue soared into the sky. A large object, a kind of kite, waved above the top of each.

The hooves of their six-legged sho'ats drummed on the planks of the bridge.

After the obligatory city gate and guards scene, they rode on, into the sunlight and noise of a city street.

Starsin looked around him. He had not expected to see open spaces within the city, where plots of vegetable crops adjoined low buildings, and where water glinted in ditches. Further off, there were ornately planted parks and gardens, and beyond, where he meant to go, lay shining domed roofs of palaces or temples. At any rate, it was different from the Western capital, Calah.
Lannaira's attention was caught by a column of smoke drifting across an open plot, and she urged her sho'at towards it. Starsin felt obliged to follow. At a line of flags on cord which barred their way, she stopped, dismounted and ducked under it. Starsin felt a sharp, unhealthy odour tickle his nose.

"What, it's one of those things? And inside the city?"

The depression was three feet across, crusted and black, and in the middle hot cinders glowed and smoked. Down a crack yellow heat sparkled. There was a mixed smell of burnt organics and hot mineral. Lannaira fumbled in her jacket and pulled out a crumpled paper. She ran her finger down the text, then, pointing at the hole, began to read from the paper. The words made no sense to her companions.

Starsin tried to guess her motives. Saying a prayer? Quoting some ancient poem? No, she must be trying to discover something about the burning-pit. Their three companions still looked bemused. Ussha, the deaf-mute girl, was waving away the fumes with one sun-browned hand, her tanned face screwed up in an exaggerated expression of disgust.

This is much better beginning then the other one, and I really appreciate the sarcastic beginning even if it feels a bit cliche. So from my point of view you should build on this one rather than on the other one.

PS. Watch the dialogue and especially associated actions as they felt really wooden in the other one. Plus you had a slight head-hop at the end.

Any city from a distance is an awe-inspiring thing. Whether you like cities or not, they have a presence, they generate emotions. If you're going to call it a "thing" I would expect a suitable emotional context.

That would be a small point, but I have a serious problem with the character introductions and being a "story" with a "hero". These paragraphs are not a story - it's a writer being self-conscious, who has dropped out of the character experience to *tell* the reader what to think.

IMO I would drop the first two paragraphs completely, because what follows after reads more like a proper story, and is actually quite good. A little tidying and you should have a good opening.

Just stop being self-conscious! You don't need to be. :)

I agree with Brian, you could drop that first paragraph. If this is aimed at adults, that angle pulls us out of the story. Watch all the description too. I wanted more to happen, and being told what a city looks like rarely involves me as a reader.

Not going to be helpful here; I preferred the other opening as a premise. This, I find, too info dumpy with too much about how people look and what not. There's always one... sorry. :eek:

I don’t think anything actually happened, apart from riding into a city. It’s nearly all description, and to be fair as description goes it was good, I’m left with strong impressions of what the city looked and felt like – but little else. It felt like I was reading a tourist guide to this great city, which is not what you’d want. You touch on the characters but don’t stay with the characters which I would have liked more of. You’re telling instead of showing.
Can you have a permanent bridge of wood? I found myself disagreeing with you here – a minor detail but it was a niggle for me.

Tell me your story, lead me into your world instead of pointing out the nice buildings and scenery. It feels like there is a great plot is waiting to come out, get started on it and describe what you need as you go along - I don’t need the whole picture right away.

Not going to be helpful here; I preferred the other opening as a premise. This, I find, too info dumpy with too much about how people look and what not. There's always one... sorry. :eek:

Umm ... vote number two lol The one Springs went for in the other thread also attracted me.

However the first one on the other thread was altogether more hooky than this one -- in my opinion.

Hi Geoff,
well I didn't critique the first one, so this looks like a first effort anyway. Maybe I'll go and look at it when I've finished... Here's my sixpennyworth, all my own opinions.

Book II – City
Chapter 1

On the horizon, Starsin saw a new thing. It raised itself out of the cultivated plain and became a wall. which I quite like, though I didn't get the size of it from this description.

Starsin thought to himself that this was like the beginning of a story, where the hero and his four companions ride towards a fine walled city where they will have a new adventure. He wasn't sure about the hero, but he did have four companions, the tall, thin adventuress Lannaira, the restless, blonde village girl Shell, the Northern chieftain's daughter Ussha, now sadly maimed, and the tribal man Rurnik who had come from the North with Ussha. And their sho'ats were on the road that led to the northern gate of Chazu, the Virnals' eastern capital. I'd say there are a few too many adjectives and adverbs as you introduce the crew. Always a difficult thing to do, to describe a few characters all at once, and whilst yours is short and sweet, I'd consider just naming them here and then appending a small description when they speak, or carry out an action. The first line sounds quite long-winded and almost drops into a childrens book timbre. I'd ask 'who else would he think to, if not himself'? And the repetition of 'where' could be looked at. Does it lose anything if you trim it further? Because at this stage we don't know what sho'ats are, we have no way of knowing what you're speaking of. I actually thought a sho'at was the home of Ussha and Rurnik, and you were telling us that was where they'd come from. Or, they'd lost their sho'ats on the road that led to the northern gate etc. Easily confused, me...

Starsin thought it was like the beginning of a story, where the hero and his four companions ride towards a fine walled city and have an adventure. He wasn't sure about the hero, but he did have four companions; Lannaira, Shell, Ussha, and the tribal man Rurnik, who had come from the North with Ussha.

While in the hands of the slavers, he had fervently wished that he was in Chazu, and now its walls were taking shape before his eyes. He wondered if he was less likely to be murdered here than anywhere else. Lannaira, slim sword strapped to her belt, didn't seem to think so. It's quite a leap from a wall in the far distance, to the city taking shape before his eyes, so I assumed the sho'ats were going at a hell of a lick, but there was nothing to suggest any speed one way or the other. What relevance does it have, that he was in the hands of slaver previously? I assume this is an opening to a new book, it's not book two in the series, or anything is it? It's quite a throwaway line: 'while in the hands of slavers' and it's a bit of a distraction, trying to get that much backstory over in one line. If it's not that relevant to the opening, I'd consider dropping it altogether...[but see below] How does he know that Lannaira didn't seem to think so? This must be a discussion they had before the story started, or as they're walking their mounts along and you've left it out? P'raps (especially as I dropped any mention of her physically) it could go:

The city of Chazu took shape slowly. He wondered if he was less likely to be murdered here than anywhere else. He knew Lannaira didn't think so. The slim sword strapped to her belt matched her perfectly; tall, graceful, an adventuress and companion to cherish, [and with whatever colour hair she's got, so we know who you're speaking of in a couple of paras...]

Okay I don't know their relationship yet, but having a slim sword and being slim were good decriptors I didn't want to repeat.

The road crossed the moat by a permanent bridge of wood. A pair of arches divided the road under a squat stone tower; part of Chazu's outer defensive wall. All three women in Starsin's party wore loose jackets and trews that hid their figures. Of the thedelete 'the' first two one was fair the other dark; the third following behind had short reddish hair. Strange mix in a paragraph, jumping from the defences to the women. You have named them, but you only described the hair colour of one of them, and in this para, we have no way of knowing which one is which (apart from the blonde bomb shell)

The woman with short red hair kneed her animal to close up with him. Name? Why only her? If you tell us this, maybe tell us why?

Ahead was some delay, a congestion of people and carts. Voices shouted, urging the travellers forward. Carts creaked into motion. He looked up. Some way inside the city, three slim towers with shafts of a startling turquoise blue soared into the sky.For a moment here, I thought you were describing rockets... A large object, a kind of kite, waved above the top of each.

The hooves of their six-legged sho'ats drummed on the planks of the bridge.

After the obligatory city gate and guards scene,erm... I assume you mean they were checked over by them? Why not say so? And there should be an apostrophe in guards... they rode on, into the sunlight and noise of a city street. I thought they were on a plain, (suggesting just grass) and have ridden into the city, high walls, buildings etc, so where did the shade come from, that they rode out of?

Starsin looked around him.delete 'him' He had not expected to see open spaces within the city, where plots of vegetable crops adjoined low buildings, and where water glinted in ditches. Further off, there were ornately planted parks and gardens, and beyond, where he meant to go, lay shining domed roofs of palaces or temples. At any rate, it was different from the Western capital, Calah.
Lannaira's attention was caught by a column of smoke drifting across an open plot, agree with ctg, it's a small pov changeand she urged her sho'at towards it. Lannaira urged her sho'at towards a column of smoke drifting across an open plot (?) would get around it, Starsin felt obliged to follow. At a line of flags on cord which barred their way, she stopped, dismounted and ducked under it. Starsin felt a sharp, unhealthy odour tickle his nose.

"What, it's one of those things? And inside the city?"

The depression was three feet across, crusted and black, and in the middle hot cinders glowed and smoked. and hot cinders glowed and smoked in the middle (otherwise you're saying in the middle hot cinders, but not the other cinders around it...) Down a crack yellow heat sparkled. There was a mixed smell of burnt organics and hot mineral. Lannaira fumbled in her jacket and pulled out a crumpled paper. She ran her finger down the text, then, pointing at the hole, began to read from the paper. The words made no sense to her companions.

Starsin tried to guess her motives. Saying a prayer? Quoting some ancient poem? No, she must be trying to discover something about the burning-pit. Their three companions still looked bemused. But there's five of them... His three companions looked bemused... Ussha, the deaf-mute girl, was waving away the fumes with one sun-browned hand, her tanned face screwed up in an exaggerated expression of disgust.

As an opening, it's not terribly hooky, though I like the poeticism of your first two lines. The only piece of tension within it, is the slavery bit (which I suggested ditching if it wasn't relevant) and if you wanted to hook us better, you could make it more relevant, to hook us a little stronger:

Two years in the hands of the slavers, and Starsin had dreamed of this moment every day.

On the horizon, he saw a new thing. It raised itself out of the cultivated plain and became a wall. The city of Chazu lay ahead.

This might interest me more, because the backstory of the slavery intrigues me (whereas it was a bit of a throwaway line before ) and I know (until I find out otherwise) that the two are related - the slavery and Cahzu, and I want to know why he dreamed of Chazu every day, what importance it has to the hero, so I'll read on to find out.

I've suggested an awful lot and I hope it helps, somehow...:eek:

[off to read the first version, now...]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Critiques 5
Mike Donoghue Critiques 11
G Critiques 19
Paul Meccano Critiques 23
M Critiques 20