4.02: The Walking Dead - Infected

ctg

weaver of the unseen
As the group faces a brand new enemy, Rick and the others must fight to protect the livelihood they worked so hard to create at the prison.

108iute.jpg

"Weeee waaaant iiiiiin. Weeee waaaant iiiiin."

BTW. It looks as if the "Hands" that burned the zombies in the Governor's pit are back. This time they are feeding the rats to the zombies or have I gone crazy?

*** Spoilers ***

I have to say Infected delivered in many ways. It scared me properly in many places, while in others it felt certainly abysmal. And I'm not saying it lightly as it's been a while since this sort of stuff has shocked me. But then again that is the true spirit of The Walking Dead.

People die like they did back in the days, when Spanish Flu wiped out nearly five percent of the world population at 1918. However, this particular strain the Doctor S mentions in the episode killed its host in less than twenty four hours. But in the same time, I don't really think it was the one that brought back the dead and made them to walk again. Nevertheless, it might had been a vector in the world wide pandemic. And as it's still in large I'm sure we will see working through the survival communities.

Do you agree?

If not, it's all right. You all have your own ideas about what's going to happen next, especially as Rick is slowly but surely making his way out from the crazy town. To me he saw the light at the end of the tunnel when Carl told him about Carol's educational plans. She at least has a plan, where rest of them are just trying to make their daily business as if there's no ghastly voices coming from the other side of the fence.

So maybe the death of her beloved daughter was a blessing in a disguise just like Merle's death was a relief to Daryl. However, it isn't the same thing to rest of them and before they start accepting the reality as it is there's no real hope for the Prisoners in Rick's camp.

Is there?

I haven't much to add except that there was a reason for keeping the pigs after all. (I think someone mentioned how growing vegetables would have been better.)

I didn't understand the rats, so thanks for that explanation. Who are the "hands" then?

It continues to be a series that examines ordinary people in exceptional circumstances.

I think the Flu is just a strain of Flu (not Zombie Flu.) However, I don't understand why Patrick had blood running from his eyes. I watched the clip from last week again and his eyes were different to what we have seen before. Dying in 24 hours is very fast too. I think we will just have to wait and see.

I didn't understand the rats, so thanks for that explanation. Who are the "hands" then?

I assume you didn't read the conversation we had around the episode where "someone" burned Governor's zombies. The ones he'd gathered in the pits and were prepared to use as bombs in the final episode.

We never got to find out who the person was behind the action, but can safely assume, can we not, that he made it to safety after Governor went absolutely bonkers. And to me that person could as well be Bob. He is so shady to my eyes. But in the same time we could also assume that someone else has lost few bats from their bell-tower and the hideous act Axel was going to commit at last will happen in this one (as the writer wade through the source material).

I think the Flu is just a strain of Flu (not Zombie Flu.) However, I don't understand why Patrick had blood running from his eyes. I watched the clip from last week again and his eyes were different to what we have seen before. Dying in 24 hours is very fast too. I think we will just have to wait and see.

We'll yeah but it's more likely that we don't get flu victims in every episode, but we actually get to see the consequencies like hanging of the person who killed and burned Tyreese's girlfriend, yeah?

We never got to find out who the person was behind the action, but can safely assume, can we not, that he made it to safety after Governor went absolutely bonkers. And to me that person could as well be Bob. He is so shady to my eyes. But in the same time we could also assume that someone else has lost few bats from their bell-tower and the hideous act Axel was going to commit at last will happen in this one (as the writer wade through the source material).
Never read the graphic comic/books and didn't catch that, so thanks for pointing out what I've missed. This show keeps placing little things that seem insignificant in themselves, but that become important later. Daryl licking his fingers after touching Patrick is another.

One thing about the Governor though. He is clearly bonkers! So, I don't believe he is sitting somewhere planning the demise of Rick Grimes and the prison. He would have attacked them again by now, or else gone off somewhere else entirely. He wouldn't be able to help himself; fuelled by insane anger. I will find it hard to believe that he is going to come back in a few months and still have the same anger.

Well I was completely wrong about a new kind of zombie, but right about questioning the need for pigs as food; I wasn't expecting them to be used as bait though!

My understanding of the burnt bodies was that they had died, become zombies and then burnt to stop the spread of infection; looks like that may not be the case.

There seems to be a feeling of 'safety in numbers', but if anything it's been proven the larger the number of people gathered the more likely that something will go wrong.

As for the govenor, he's too interesting a character to have been written out of the series and too vindictive to stay away. He will be watching and waiting for the right moment, and I'm sure that there's at least one person in the camp who is still on his side.

After the discovery of the rats, Rick now knows that there is someone amongst their number who is not as they seem; I wouldn't put it past him to dismiss all the new arrivals and send them on their way, it wouldn't be the first time that he's made similar decisions. I do wonder if it's his son , and it was a way to instigate a incident to either get his dad back as leader of the group, or maybe to get his gun back. I don't trust Carl one bit...

As for the governor... too vindictive to stay away. He will be watching and waiting for the right moment, and I'm sure that there's at least one person in the camp who is still on his side.
That was my point about the governor - he is too vindictive and has too much anger to sit and wait for the right opportunity. He would have returned to attack them again in a rage whether he was ready or not. I will need a convincing reason for him not to have done so, and some time has already passed by between Seasons.

I do remember the burning of the bodies in the pit now. At the time I thought it might be Andrea or Merle. I'd forgotten it was left hanging. The rats could have been Carl. Yes, still some mysteries.

Well I was completely wrong about a new kind of zombie, but right about questioning the need for pigs as food; I wasn't expecting them to be used as bait though!

Zombies eat anything they can get their hands. They don't care if it's fish, horse or little pigges as long as they can get their gnawers around it, and even if they can't, the virus won't stop them from trying. You could as well as claim that toddlers and zombies share the same thing, they will put anything in their mouth.

There seems to be a feeling of 'safety in numbers', but if anything it's been proven the larger the number of people gathered the more likely that something will go wrong.

There is safety in numbers and it has been proven many times in this series. Just look for example what happened to the lone hiker in the last season or what happened to Randall when his group left him on his own devices at second one.

I thought it was the young girl feeding rats to the zombies?

Nice to see Rick getting his mojo back (arming up).

I thought the two quarantined had been killed/murdered and then burnt - i.e. they didn't have a chance to turn zombie.

I thought the two quarantined had been killed/murdered and then burnt - i.e. they didn't have a chance to turn zombie.
The bodies we were just discussing happened last season - when someone burnt the Zombies in the pit that the Governor had been keeping for experiments.

Regarding the two bodies in this episode - my understanding was that they set themselves alight (evidenced by the petrol can) so that they would not infect the rest of the group.

Sorry for the confusion, not your fault, we were not very clear.

Edit: You were right - they were dragged out and set on fire by someone as yet undetermined.

Last edited:
Zombies eat anything they can get their hands. They don't care if it's fish, horse or little pigges as long as they can get their gnawers around it, and even if they can't, the virus won't stop them from trying. You could as well as claim that toddlers and zombies share the same thing, they will put anything in their mouth.

There is safety in numbers and it has been proven many times in this series. Just look for example what happened to the lone hiker in the last season or what happened to Randall when his group left him on his own devices at second one.

there is safety in small groups, but when they start to grow, bad things start to happen

I thought at the time it was pretty evident it was Milton that set the zombies in the pit on fire last season, after he had his little awakening to what a total nutjob the Governor was. If so, it's not him feeding the rats to the walkers at the fence. I thought the girl too, but I've seen arguments that that's just a red herring - and they did seem to be dangled too high (at zombie head height) for her to be the culprit...

I don't think it was Carl, either. I think he may have taken a step back from the precipice at this point. That said, i don't have any inkling of who else it might be.

(Oh, and Dave - Daryl licked his fingers before shaking Patrick's hand, not after.)

I thought at the time it was pretty evident it was Milton that set the zombies in the pit on fire last season, after he had his little awakening to what a total nutjob the Governor was. If so, it's not him feeding the rats to the walkers at the fence.

Milton died quite horribly in Governors hands and afterwards in Andrea's. So I'm pretty sure he is quite dead and wouldn't be giving zombies anything other than punch worms.

That said, i don't have any inkling of who else it might be.

I'll blame Bob.

Who is Bob? This character escapes me...

And I know Milton is dead, which is why I said I don't think the rat-feeder is the zombie-burner.

EDIT: Wait, I just worked out who Bob is - but are you are saying that Bob burned the zombies in season three, then? Because that can't be, as he only joined the group this season, and was never in the town.

Who is Bob? This character escapes me...

And I know Milton is dead, which is why I said I don't think the rat-feeder is the zombie-burner.

EDIT: Wait, I just worked out who Bob is - but are you are saying that Bob burned the zombies in season three, then? Because that can't be, as he only joined the group this season, and was never in the town.

I blame bob because he is new in the group. Others has been in the play for a while and I don't think they would give rat-feeding operations to some unnamed off-screen actor. Would they?

Bob Stookey, a former Army medic - "Bob is deeply haunted by his past — pre- and post-zombie apocalypse. As a result, he’s a bit of a loner, although he maintains a charming/self-deprecating/confident public face." - yes, he does seem a little odd. I think we are going to find out a bit more about him, but that would be a spoiler for next week.

I blame bob because he is new in the group. Others has been in the play for a while and I don't think they would give rat-feeding operations to some unnamed off-screen actor. Would they?

Sorry, I thought you said earlier that the rat-feeder and zombie-burner were the same person, so I was a little confused.

Haven't caught up with this week's episode yet (hence why I'm in this thread and not that thread) but will do soon!

Sorry, I thought you said earlier that the rat-feeder and zombie-burner were the same person, so I was a little confused.

Haven't caught up with this week's episode yet (hence why I'm in this thread and not that thread) but will do soon!

When you looked deeper into Bob's background you start seeing that he has mental problems. And as he just joined the group a week before the new season started, it might be a real possibility that it was he who torched the pit-zombies and now started to feeding the fence zombies.

I don't think it makes any narrative sense whatsoever for Bob to have burnt those zombies in season three, months before he entered the picture. And I think you might be reading far more into his character then is there. Obviously some mystery there, but I don't see him as being against the group.

Back