Putting quotes at the beginning of MS

Mouse

I'm sure there's been threads on this before, but...

What is the ruling on using a quote at the start of your MS? Does it have to be a really old one or...?

I would really like to use:

“Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen.” (Orhan Pamuk, Turkish novelist)

Cos he's still alive and everything, so can you only quote dead people?

Recommended ask him first (publisher will always transmit messages). Ninety plus percent of writers would be delighted to be cited, as long as the quote was in his/her name – wouldn't you?

The remaining fraction, who demand payment for a quote, don't deserve to be quoted.

Yeah, was worried someone might say that. Might look for an 'anon' one then, or one by someone who's dead!

Same as with anything else literary in copyright, a snippet is allowable, but it's always best to seek permission.

or one by someone who's dead...
...for long enough so that their (heirs' rights to their) copyright has expired. (So someone who died in 1932 or earlier.)

EDIT: That should be 1942 or earlier.

Last edited:
Right o. And 'anon' is fine, I guess? Same with a proverb or something?

Anything from a long time ago should be fine.

There are various useful sources - books of quotations, for instance - and if you want to search online, there's Wikiquotes; here's their "dogs" section.

Yeah just been Googling loads. Neil Gaiman uses that Alexander Pope one.

I like: "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - anonymous

If I used that could I change it to 'she' instead of he? Or does it make no difference really?

I also like: "No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley (but he died in the 50s).

That Orhan Pamuk one is so flaming perfect too.

If it isn't in public domain (life of author plus seventy years is a good guideline, but check) then yes, you need permission

Proverbs are prolly fine because no one knows who wrote them + public domain. A living writer? Yeah, you need to ask. Would you like it if someone used you, without asking?

If it isn't in public domain (life of author plus seventy years is a good guideline, but check) then yes, you need permission

Proverbs are prolly fine because no one knows who wrote them + public domain. A living writer? Yeah, you need to ask. Would you like it if someone used you, without asking?

As long as you attribute the quote properly, and you're not quoting an entire chapter or something, it's perfectly legal to quote copyrighted work without permission.

Having said that, your publisher may prefer to secure permission, just to make things easier - just because it's legal doesn't meant they won't sue you... ;)

The kind of of quotes you've used don't seem that great. I'm sure you could make 'wise' sayings up yourself and attribute them to a character in your book? If it's to do with dogs I'm sure you'll be able to come up with loads...

Like "Your dog will sit, stay, fetch and roll over, but he will never leave you." blah blah blah.

No, that first one is spot on for the story. My MC is a guy who can hear his dog speaking to him.

I think what I'd do is leave it up to the publisher to contact Mr Pamuk.

I have part of a WW1 poem at the beginning of the manuscript I currently preparing for submission. Honestly the fact of whether it will be used will only come up if/when it is published. (poet did not die until 1970's so most likely still copyrighted) It is not that important in the grand scheme of things. The story will stand on its own strengths not on the quote.

Mouse, as you say, leave it for now.

As long as you attribute the quote properly, and you're not quoting an entire chapter or something, it's perfectly legal to quote copyrighted work without permission.
;)

Not necessarily

It all comes down to fair use -- and how much you are using. Two lines from a book, prolly all right. Two lines from a song/poem (which means it's a substantially larger part of the work) may not be/probably isn't. Especially if it's a Metallica song :D ETA: Fair use also takes into account if you are making money by the work which uses the quote. If you are, you'll get less sympathy. And of course, different laws apply in different countries.

That's why it's always best to ask permission (politer too. I know I'd prefer if someone asked, rather than presumed)