Smurphy Murphy and the Chocolate Mushrooms

Gary Compton

I miss you, wor kid.
Has Gary gone mad I can hear you saying as you read the title. Well the answer is no. :)

As everyone might know I have 2 Basset hounds and every time I take them for a walk I keep thinking I should write a children's story to include them. So I have a working title and have done 500 words.

I was wondering how long Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate factory was and did it include pictures?

Its that long ago since I was a kid I cant remember. My story is about the Basset Kingdom and how King Harvey Basset discovers they have run out of chocolate mushrooms, so his brother, Prince Smurphy Murphy Basset and his army goes to a land far far away to get some. The Wicked Chiwawa Fairy who rules the valley where they are plentiful is not going to let them have any, easily.

Can't help with any answers, but I'm pretty sure my kids would enjoy the premise!

Can't help with any answers, but I'm pretty sure my kids would enjoy the premise!

I'm thinking if I can write a good story I will get Aty to illustrate it. By the way King Harvey is the only Basset that can fly, by flapping his big long ears.:)

This will be fun!

Found online it is 30K.

It sounds more to me like a 16 page picture book for 4-7-year-olds, rather than anything over 1k. But it could work as longer too.

Here's the King on the left and Prince Smurphy Murphy

Attachments

• basetts.jpg
    basetts.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 221
Yes, I did think you were nuts :p Gorgeous dogs, too.

As I remember, the book was about 150 pages, maybe? So small word count, but still a decent sized book (for kids) But it had pictures.

I'd probably read it, if only for comedic enjoyment :) Let us when it comes out, will ya?

I want to read it!
Flying kings, evil (so normal) Chihuahuas, chocolate popping out of the ground!

Please tell me there are talking fleas. "Bug"ging an enemy could mean getting your fleas on 'em then getting them back and having them tell you what they heard.
But that might be my perchant for seeing bassetts as sherlockian... and trying to give the story a film-noir gumshoe twist.
Hmm... do bassett puppies chew gumshoes?

Appently, it was around 30k words, so more of a novella?

EDIT: I tried to write a children's story once, but four people ended up dead within the first chaper... not my genre :(

The Wicked Chiwawa Fairy who rules the valley where they are plentiful is not going to let them have any, easily.

I once, briefly, had a chihuahua. I don't know whether it had a super-inflated ego, or was simply mental. But it used to yap its head off at large dogs. It's aggressiveness (towards other dogs) was out of all proportion to its size.

My daughter said "Mum, don't you have a story about dog and chocolate?" However mine is a fat Chocolate Chihuahua called Chalky who is the children's guide to chocolate land. (I have a story fairy who takes children to Storyland which is a bit like the top of the Faraway Tree). They help look after Nutmeg, the Spice Child who has escaped from child labour in the Spice mines. She clearly didn't think it was my most memorable story.

I'm fairly sure Roald Dahl books are a good bit longer than Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree. Middle Grade/Junior Fiction I've been told is 20K - 45K. Mine hover about 30K but I only write them for my children and they are more a series of self contained stories.

Appently, it was around 30k words, so more of a novella?

EDIT: I tried to write a children's story once, but four people ended up dead within the first chaper... not my genre :(

That is funny stuff.

Gary, I like it. Can you throw in a cocker spaniel sidekick...haha

I prefer yappy Jack Russels. Can I have one of them in please?

There are seven valleys in the story. The first is the Bassetlands and of course there is the dogdom of Jack Russels.

I am going to try the story in critiques to get a reaction!:)

If you want a good voice actor to read it out... I know one who's available.

*selfpromotingsmile*

I have stuck the first 1000 words up into critiques so you can have a gander. :)

I once, briefly, had a chihuahua. I don't know whether it had a super-inflated ego, or was simply mental. But it used to yap its head off at large dogs. It's aggressiveness (towards other dogs) was out of all proportion to its size.

Chihuahuas are clearly psychotic, and extremely brave. I had always thought they were bred as ratters, which would account for much, but Wiki disagrees, saying their origin is mysterious, though seemingly known to be from Mexico.

Nice! I got my cockers put into it! They are servants but that is kind of fitting punishment for all their trouble