Prince Smurphy Murphy and the Chocolate Mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Compton

I miss you, wor kid.
I have had this idea for a childrens book rattling around in my head for months so I thought I would write it. Here's the beginning. What do ya think?:)

Once upon a time, in the first of the seven dogdoms, the monarch of the marvellous, King Harvey Basset; leader of the most handsome dogs in the world and father of the nation of folds walked into Bassetland’s chocoboratory. Two cocker spaniel servants, wearing velvet-gloves on their paws, carried his ears knowing a dungeon awaited if they dropped them.

A thin glaze of emotion filled King Harvey’s eyes and a tear rolled down his cheek when he stared at the chocolate mushroom shelf, an empty chocolate mushroom shelf. “We have run out,” he complained.

Professor Magoo Basset came running out form his lab. “Your liege, I am so sorry,” he grovelled.” The chocolate mushrooms have failed to grow today – they have been poisoned.”

“What! Who would do such a thing? We cannot function without chocolate mushrooms,’ King Harvey yelled. “What can we do?”

Professor Magoo lowered his head and stroked his chin. “I have been trying to grow some in my chocoboratory, but I have failed miserably. All I have managed to do is make some chocolate chew-sticks.”

King Harvey pursed his lips, from behind him he heard the pitter-patter of Basset nails on the old stone floors. He span on a paw, Prince Smurphy-Murphy swaggered into the shop, looking pleased with himself. His magic cloak covered his shoulders and trailed along the floor as he stood in front of the King. His bodyguards, carrying their daggers on their wastes, stood either side of him. “Dear brother. I have an idea!” he said, with a cheeky smile on his face.

King Harvey’s brow narrowed. “I’m listening,” he drilled Prince Smurphy Murphy with wide inquisitive eyes.

The Prince swallowed, nervously. “There is a valley far away from the Basset dogdom, it’s the seventh valley and over several mountain ranges, and across many raging rivers. It has an abundance of chocolate mushrooms. It will take many weeks to get there but we can harvest their seeds so Professor Magoo can plant them again,” he said, confidently. ”But…” he paused, his lip quivering. “There will be terrible risks, my liege.”

“And how would you know this, Prince Smurphy Murphy?” King Harvey asked.

“I saw our journey in the all-seeing eye of the Grumpy Dragon.”

King Harvey scratched his head with his paw. “Hmmm… I do not want to put any of my subjects into danger but we have no choice. No chocolate mushrooms and the dogdom will become rebellious. This could lead to choco-riots, burning of pictures of the Royal Bassets and might even lead to an overthrow.”

Prince Smurphy-Murphy lowered his head in respect to the King. “In that case I offer myself and my army, despite the dangers, we will save your dogdom.”

King Harvey walked out of professor Magoo’s shop with his entourage following. “We must make a plan. Come to the Palace of Wiggly-Bum tomorrow and we will discuss this.”

“This will be my honour,” Prince Smurphy-Murphy said bowing.

CHAPTER TWO

The sun came over the mountain and the dogdom of Bassetland was bathed in golden light. King Harvey was eating a breakfast of roasted wild mushrooms and grass that his underlings had foraged from the forest. “My God, I can’t eat this for the rest of my reign,” he raged. “I would give three pieces of gold for a chocolate mushroom.”

One of his dog-servants approached. “Sir,” he said quietly. “Prince Smurphy-Murphy is here to see you.” The King threw his fork onto the plate. “Bah! Those are disgusting,” he moaned.

Prince Smurphy-Murphy walked towards him with several of his senior generals at his side. “My liege, I have worked through the night and have a thousand Basset-warriors ready to fight, a hundred Shih tzu slaves to pull our wagons and a dozen lady-Bassets to cook our meals and maintain our camp. We are armed with daggers, talking fleas, exploding frogs, mail-pigeons and the Grumpy Dragon has agreed to come with us as long as her Rotweiller bodyguards can carry her in a sedan chair.”

King Harvey’s eyes widened. “Can they be trusted. We don’t want anything to happen to her?”

“Of course, sir, they are a good breed of dogs. It was only their human owners that sent some of them into madness, but that could never happen now.”

King Harvey nodded. “They are long gone, thankfully so as long as you are happy, I am.”

“I appreciate your confidence in me.” Prince Smurphy-Murphy said, taking the Kings paw and kissing it. “You a re a great leader and I will not let you down.”

“I know you won’t,” the King said, walking his brother to the palace entrance. Outside, hundreds of the dogdom’s brethren had gathered to say their goodbyes to the Basset-army and Prince Smurphy-Murphy. King Harvey tried to speak to the crowd but his voice was drowned out by their cheering. He stood onto his back legs and he looked at them, sternly. “Grrrrrrrrrrrr… be quiet,” he growled and the throng went silent. “Our chocolate-mushroom harvest has died. Professor Maggoo has no answers as to who had poisoned them so we are forced to send our army across the seven dogdoms to the land of the Chihuahua.” A chorus of gasps filled the air. “I know that no one has ever returned from the seventh valley but Prince Smurphy-Murphy is confident he can bring back chocolate-mushroom seeds. Once again we will be able to grow our own. Can I say three cheers for our brave Prince and his fellow Basset warriors.”

“Hip hip hoorah,” Queen Betty Bassett shouted.
“Hip hip hoorah,” the crowd repeated. “Hip hip hoorah,” Yelled the King.

Queen Betty Basset walked up to Prince Smurphy-Murphy and kissed him on the cheek. “Take care brave prince, may you and your army have God’s speed at your backs.”

“Thank you your majesty,” he replied, kneeling and lowering his head in respect.

The procession of carriages pulled up in front of Wiggly-Bum Palace. Each one was drawn by eight Shih Tzu’s. Prince Smurphy-Murphy got onto his carriage, cracked his whip. “Onwards Basset-army, we have work to do,” he shouted.
Everyone waived their goodbyes to Prince Smurphy-Murphy. After ten minutes the last of the carriages passed the palace, a cloud of dust trailed behind the convoy, thrown up from the old dirt track.

How old is your target reader?

And is it a good idea to encourage feeding chocolate anything to a dog?

Or maybe I should say poisoned chocolate anything for a dog is redundant.

only a couple of moments where the wording gets awkward about the mouth. "span on a paw" its correct, but I had to stop and think because at first I was wondering what he was measuring with his paw.
Love it!
It reads like the kind of thing I could read out to my son and nephews without any of them getting too restless.

Once upon a time, in the first of the seven dogdoms, the monarch of the marvellous, King Harvey Basset; leader of the most handsome dogs in the world and father of the nation of folds walked into Bassetland’s chocoboratory. Two cocker spaniel servants, wearing velvet-gloves on their paws, carried his ears knowing a dungeon awaited if they dropped them.

A thin glaze of emotion filled King Harvey’s eyes and a tear rolled down his cheek when he stared at the chocolate mushroom shelf, an empty chocolate mushroom shelf. “We have run out,” he complained.

Professor Magoo Basset came running out form his lab. “Your liege, I am so sorry,” he grovelled.A tiny error, no space after the full stop The chocolate mushrooms have failed to grow today – they have been poisoned.”

“What! Who would do such a thing? We cannot function without chocolate mushrooms,’ King Harvey yelled. “What can we do?”

Professor Magoo lowered his head and stroked his chin. “I have been trying to grow some in my chocoboratory, but I have failed miserably. All I have managed to do is make some chocolate chew-sticks.”

King Harvey pursed his lips, from behind him he heard the pitter-patter of Basset nails on the old stone floors. He span on a paw, Prince Smurphy-Murphy swaggered into the shop, looking pleased with himself. His magic cloak covered his shoulders and trailed along the floor as he stood in front of the King. His bodyguards, carrying their daggers on their wastes, stood either side of him. “Dear brother. I have an idea!” he said, with a cheeky smile on his face.

King Harvey’s brow narrowed. “I’m listening,” as he drilled Prince Smurphy Murphy with wide inquisitive eyes. – The as is to my taste anyway.

The Prince swallowed, nervously. “There is a valley far away from the Basset dogdom, it’s the seventh valley and over several mountain ranges, and across many raging rivers. It has an abundance of chocolate mushrooms. It will take many weeks to get there but we can harvest their seeds so Professor Magoo can plant them again,” he said, confidently. ”But…” he paused, his lip quivering. “There will be terrible risks, my liege.” I’m not sure about the lower case “d” for Dogdom here, more so here as your naming something, while the first line was just referring to dogdoms in general.

“And how would you know this, Prince Smurphy Murphy?” King Harvey asked.

“I saw our journey in the all-seeing eye of the Grumpy Dragon.”

King Harvey scratched his head with his paw. “Hmmm… I do not want to put any of my subjects into danger, it feels like a paw… pause here but we have no choice. No chocolate mushrooms and the dogdom will become rebellious. This could lead to choco-riots, burning of pictures of the Royal Bassets and might even lead to me losing my crown - an overthrow.Would keep it more personal, the King being worried about himself and stating it as such.

Prince Smurphy-Murphy lowered his head in respect to the King. “In that case I offer myself and my army, despite the dangers, we will save your dogdom.”

King Harvey walked out of professor Magoo’s shop with his entourage following. “We must make a plan. Come to the Palace of Wiggly-Bum tomorrow and we will discuss this.”

“This will be my honour,” Prince Smurphy-Murphy said bowing.

CHAPTER TWO

The sun came over the mountain and the dogdom of Bassetland was bathed in golden light. King Harvey was eating a breakfast of roasted wild mushrooms and grass that his underlings had foraged from the forest. “My God, I can’t eat this for the rest of my reign,” he raged. “I would give three pieces of gold for a chocolate mushroom.”

One of his dog-servants approached. “Sir,” he said quietly. “Prince Smurphy-Murphy is here to see you.” The King threw his fork onto the plate. “Bah! Those are disgusting,” he moaned.

Prince Smurphy-Murphy walked towards him with several of his senior generals at his side. “My liege, I have worked through the night and have a thousand Basset-warriors ready to fight, a hundred Shih tzu slaves to pull our wagons and a dozen lady-Bassets to cook our meals and maintain our camp. We are armed with daggers, talking fleas, exploding frogs, mail-pigeons and the Grumpy Dragon has agreed to come with us as long as her Rotweiller bodyguards can carry her in a sedan chair.”

King Harvey’s eyes widened. “Can they be trusted. We don’t want anything to happen to her?”

“Of course, sir, they are a good breed of dogs. It was only their human owners that sent some of them into madness, but that could never happen now.”

King Harvey nodded. “They are long gone, thankfully,and as long as you are happy, so I am.” I’d switch to just “the King” earlier, as you do below. King Harvey on the first line, but from then on in a section/chapter the King only, unless you want to underline his authority. In the section above it was always “King Harvey”, so it was a consistent use of a title, if you follow my meaning.

“I appreciate your confidence in me.” Prince Smurphy-Murphy said, taking the Kings paw and kissing it. “You are a great leader and I will not let you down.”

“I know you won’t,” the King said, walking his brother to the palace entrance. Outside, hundreds of the dogdom’s brethren had gathered to say their goodbyes to the Basset-army and Prince Smurphy-Murphy. King Harvey tried to speak to the crowd but his voice was drowned out by their cheering. He stood onto his back legs and he looked at them, sternly. “Grrrrrrrrrrrr… be quiet,” he growled and the throng went silent. “Our chocolate-mushroom harvest has died. Professor Maggoo has no answers as to who had poisoned them so we are forced to send our army across the seven dogdoms to the land of the Chihuahua.” A chorus of gasps filled the air. “I know that no one has ever returned from the seventh valley but Prince Smurphy-Murphy is confident he can bring back chocolate-mushroom seeds. Once again we will be able to grow our own. Can I say three cheers for our brave Prince and his fellow Basset warriors.”

“Hip hip hoorah,” Queen Betty Bassett shouted.
“Hip hip hoorah,” the crowd repeated. “Hip hip hoorah,” yelled the King.

Queen Betty Basset walked up to Prince Smurphy-Murphy and kissed him on the cheek. “Take care brave prince, may you and your army have God’s speed at your backs.”

“Thank you your majesty,” he replied, kneeling and lowering his head in respect.

The procession of carriages pulled up in front of Wiggly-Bum Palace. Each one was drawn by eight Shih Tzu’s. Prince Smurphy-Murphy got onto his carriage and I didn’t think a comma was right here as I felt the action was linked to the carriage cracked his whip. “Onwards Basset-army, we have work to do,” he shouted.
Everyone waived their goodbyes to Prince Smurphy-Murphy. After ten minutes the last of the carriages passed the palace, a cloud of dust trailed behind the convoy, thrown up from the old dirt track.

I enjoyed it. I’m no expert on children’s writing but it felt right to me. A nice pace with enough silliness to keep me reading on. I’ve had to dig really deep to get some red and most of my red is subjective, so you don’t even have to listen to me if you don’t want to. For me, you’ve well and truly cracked any grammar problems you had and I know for you Gary, just how much additional effort that is. We should all take our inspiration where we find it and more so if it’s working like it is here. So off down the park with you, ball in hand, pooper scooper and whatever else you need, and look after those dogs of yours. Good luck with it.

I'm not going to add much, but I've spotted a small error. "Daggers at their wastes" is not correct unless you have a very odd vision in mind. Should be "daggers at their waists".

And is it a good idea to encourage feeding chocolate anything to a dog?

Or maybe I should say poisoned chocolate anything for a dog is redundant.
I wasn't sure what Tinkerdan meant, so I looked it up on Google.
Seems that eating chocolate is really bad for dogs, which is something that Gary ought to bear in mind!

Other than that, the story reads well and I have no other comments.

My daughter (aged 10 and a bit too acerbic when doing a beta read) said: "Of course it's doggy chocolate." She also rolled her eyes and made sarcastic comments about adults but I'll leave her cheek out of this lol. However I never critique a children's story without her.

The above ten year old also reckons beginning a story with "Once Upon a Time" even if you are evoking something or being retro is so two centuries ago.

Professor Magoo Basset came running out form his lab. “Your liege, I am so sorry,” he grovelled.” The chocolate mushrooms have failed to grow today – they have been poisoned.”

The first two paragraphs feel a bit description heavy and description you can include in the text. This seems a lovely way to begin.

Professor Magoo lowered his head and stroked his chin.

If Magoo is grovelling is his head already lowered? If not how is he grovelling?

“I have been trying to grow some in my chocoboratory, but I have failed miserably. All I have managed to do is make some chocolate chew-sticks.”

My daughter suggested the sticks would be good for servants maybe? We already had the chocoboratory mentioned.

What makes it a magic cloak? Or is it a magician's/wizard's cloak? What does it look like? Colours? I find with childrens stories that injecting colour works well at least for my children and their friends.

King Harvey’s brow narrowed. “I’m listening,” he drilled Prince Smurphy Murphy with wide inquisitive eyes.

The Prince swallowed, nervously. “There is a valley far away from the Basset dogdom, it’s the seventh valley and over several mountain ranges, and across many raging rivers. It has an abundance of chocolate mushrooms. It will take many weeks to get there but we can harvest their seeds so Professor Magoo can plant them again,” he said, confidently. ”But…” he paused, his lip quivering. “There will be terrible risks, my liege

This bit of dialogue feels a bit wordy. My daughter got a bit fed up with it. Something like "My liege there is a valley faraway over several mountain ranges, across many raging rivers and.... There is an abundance of chocolate mushrooms there."

Perhaps we're missing something - but we're wondering why these mushrooms are so important? We haven't seen anything that warrants his brother putting himself in danger or that would shatter the dogdom. At present it looks like a spoiled dog missing his favourite treat.

CHAPTER TWO

Elana asked: Do dogs like mushrooms and grass?

My daughter would like to know more about the dragon.

So there is contact between your world and Earth? Or as you say they are long gone is this kind of post apocalyptic?

Hi Stephen,

I think you need to think about this.

First you need to decide on an age group.
That gives you the number of words or the vocabulary you can work with.

I thought at first you were trying for a phonics thing, and if you are, its never to late to re-read Dr Seuss: The Cat in the Hat or Green eggs and Ham. Phonics covers age 4 through 6.

Cute doggies is likely to appeal to girls, so up to the age of seven-eight you are facing tough competition from Barbie, Tinkerbell and Rainbow Magic fairies. Basically if it does not have a kitten, a pony or a fairy on the cover forget it.

As far as I can tell boys under seven don't read, or at least there is not a defined market for them.

Beyond eight the good readers are straight into Harry Potter, so again I'm not sure where this sits.

My eleven year old read The Hunger Games when she was just ten, she threw out the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in the same year.

Why not spend some time in the children's section of w.h. smith looking through the series on sale, or borrow some children.

Spy Dog/Pups/Pets is for the under 8s. Both boys and girls seem to read it.

This has a similar feel to the likes of Cows in Action or Dinosaur Cove again in the 5-8 category. Both of those aimed at boys.

Spy Dog/Pups/Pets is for the under 8s. Both boys and girls seem to read it.

This has a similar feel to the likes of Cows in Action or Dinosaur Cove again in the 5-8 category. Both of those aimed at boys.

I am doing a re-write taking in all the comments above. Thanks to Anya's daughter who is now my agent. :)

I thought this would go 8's to 12's but I am no expert in kids as mine are well grown up!

PS I'm Gary by the way, I have a friend called Rodney who always got called Dave so it's okay to call me Stephen, Sally :)

Last edited:
So um... Dave,

Next time you're at the library I can give you a list of what my lot read: Daughter 10, Son 7 and Son 5. All three are experienced critics at least with my work lol and my daughter beta reads some middle-grade fiction.

A few comments:

I love the idea of the 'kingdom of folds'.

I was startled by the idea of a Bassett spinning on a paw, but then it made me smile, as I imagined the Bassett spinning while his ears, flews and skin-folds followed slightly more slowly. That might make a good illustration.

The breed-ism raised my hackles slightly:D

I have heard dog owners use 'mushrooms' as a euphemism for dog faeces (because you may find them scattered on the lawn). Is that a subtle allusion for those 'in the know'?

A look through the Hairy MacClary books by Dame Linley Dodd may be useful (and entertaining).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back