4.12: The Walking Dead - Still

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Faced with the day-to-day survival of life outside shelter, a simple request by someone in the group leads to a bizarre but enlightening mission.

fc5lom.jpg

*** SPOILERS ***

"You ain't kno' nuffin' girl!"

Well, maybe Beth didn't but we could see why Daryl wasn't touching hooch. He didn't want that bad boy coming out from his shell and start pissing all those pent-up feelings over someone who he hardly knew.

Beth, as far as I understand from his point-of-view Beth is just some weird twisted girl, who'd barely got out from her teen years and were ready to start on well trod path of f***up's he'd experienced with Merle, his dad and all other Georgian rednecks.

But then again all those pent-up feelings were going to come out some point anyways. So, it was a great relief to find out that there is still living, beating heart under all that grime. A heart that could forgive and overcome all that hate and frustration of losing all important people from his life - again - and end up with the wrong girl.

Beth ain't Carol, but just like her, she has to go through the ritual of humiliation and violence before the man can open up. And when he does, he isn't far different from her. In fact, it's a relief to see them giving a finger to the old moonshiner's house at the end.

When I watch the series and think about the walking dead I've started getting really scared about them. You seem their skins getting dried up against their bones, and you seem carrying on despite horrific injuries. There is almost nothing but the good old double tap method to be sure that the dead are really dead.

So when Beth carried her mad dash through the country club I had my heart on my throat as I thought that maybe couple of them corpses were faking it. I wanted to shout at the screen to watch out. Especially in the notorious closet scene.

Then just as the grand father clocked chimed I thought that was it. They will end up dead. Good bye Daryl and Beth. It was nice knowing you but getting a drink in place full of dead people isn't the brightest ideas one could get in her head.

I get that death or suffering can drive people towards the bottle. Especially in the young people's case. But forgetting that your world is literally in your hands isn't something that was rooted in either one of their minds.

Maybe they needed to get a supplies and whatnots, but as soon as they saw those blocked out windows they should had smelled that there were going to be death in the house. Then again, whole world has gone in a sh*tter. The places has been ransacked, raided, trod through by so many things that you could easily think there's nothing left. Everything has been consumed by those that were left alive after the day of uprising.

I don't know if people of TWD would talk about it that way or would they all have their own name for the event as they do for the zombie kind. Maybe they do. And maybe that is what annoys me as they never talk about it.

Daryl and Beth talk about the past and how it was but they never talk about the general historic events. It is almost as if there isn't a story about how it all become true. And the stories we're witnessing in the Walking Dead is the tale of how they died and one that survived?

I don't know if that claim is true, as it my own speculation.

However I still would like to applaud to Norman Reedus for making a man, who really could be standing alone at the end. Like king of hill made of dead people. A sole survivor of a plague that wiped the world clean of living.

Hey, ctg, new member at the Chronicles here! I appreciate your updates on each episode! Wow, with each show outside of the prison we really see again just how tenuous a hold on life anyone without shelter really has. At any moment--at nearly every moment, seemingly--our protagonists face death...they could die at any time. How do you face a life such as this? It's horrifying...if you are at least lucky enough to have companions, do you grow incredibly close to them, because they not only allow a tiny spark of humanity back in your world, but they also can be integral to your own survival...or do you pull away, not wanting to get too close to anyone who could be dead in the next few moments (and also who might, once dead, come back a few moments later trying to take your own life)?

I have read the comics only through the death of the Governor...my wife and I experienced the TV series before the comic book, and we want to continue experiencing the televised story line before we take a look at the same timeline in the comics. We really love both of these works. Anyways, thanks again for the great reviews! CC

What if the zombie-virus was nature way to achieve immortality? It doesn't know death per say, but death is a transformation from one thing to another. And as the saying "Dust to dust" goes it fits the bill. The nature has tried multiple things over the time to achieve life and maybe in the TWD world, it found a way to achieve eternal life, but in the process everything twisted and the life after death didn't work as we've imagined it in our stories and legends.

So maybe this life granting virus didn't mean everything to become bad and evil as we see it, and as the survivors of this apocalypse see it. And what it does to a host is another opportunity. Another chance. But as it goes with the parasites the virus took over the host and forced it hunt down the living. Any living creature (that has a pulse). And as its doing it, it is making sure that it survives by spreading from one being to another.

However, as we have seen in the multiple cases, there are things in the nature that consumes the living corpses and they are not affected by the thing. They don't change to another creature after they pass mortal coil. And as they consume these walking nightmares, they continue the circle of life.

But what you guys have been theorising is: Judith is immune, and therefore, if she would ever caught the, virus she would rebel it and give the community a chance for survival.

I don't think that will happen.

Judith is in danger. She's not a messiah. She's just a baby that has to live through the nightmare and become something else over the years. What that is I don't know. Only Kirkman knows what he has written in his "several notebooks" over the years.

He is the creator and using the "baby has the cure" device in the play would mean that he's aiming to wrap up his creation instead of planning for its continuation. However even though it would be nice to twist the story, I don't think that is his aim as he has pushed the comic to appear twice in month instead of just once, or once every two months - as it once was.

Cat's Cradle said:
At any moment--at nearly every moment, seemingly--our protagonists face death...they could die at any time. How do you face a life such as this?

It's horrifying...if you are at least lucky enough to have companions, do you grow incredibly close to them, because they not only allow a tiny spark of humanity back in your world, but they also can be integral to your own survival...or do you pull away, not wanting to get too close to anyone who could be dead in the next few moments (and also who might, once dead, come back a few moments later trying to take your own life)?

Even the Governor couldn't be without companions. And in this world they are more precious than gold in your pocket. They can do things that money cannot buy. They can even mend things by listening your worries and your fears, and allow you to open your mind to horrors and help you to see the next day, when if you would follow isolation and loneliness, you would end up dead sooner than later.

I have read the comics only through the death of the Governor...my wife and I experienced the TV series before the comic book, and we want to continue experiencing the televised story line before we take a look at the same timeline in the comics. We really love both of these works. Anyways, thanks again for the great reviews! CC

Thank you and welcome to the Chronicles.

We are a day behind in the airing of the show here (we get it on Monday evening, I believe it's shown on Sundays in the States), so I will always be a bit late in responding, but we're really looking forward to tonight's show! Hope they move things ahead a bit...get some of the gang back together, maybe move closer to their own next big move...will it be DC? :)

Not my favourite episode so far, much as I like Daryl. (Beth seems alright, apart from her weird desire for a drink in this episode).

Hoping we get a bit more action soon. Can't recall if it was this episode or the last (I'm watching back-to-back pairs of repeats on 5*) but Eugene (the scientist, I think that was his name) has already annoyed me. Not the failure to ask for help, not the incompetence he showed, but colossally screwing up and then smugly telling someone else he was "smarter" than them.

Ok, academically that's probably true. But after cocking up enormously and stupidly and then asserting his own intellectual self-confidence I wouldn't've minded at all if he'd been punched in the face.

Man, you got the same feeling many, many people have on Mr Eugene and without spoiling I cannot say much about where his successes and failures will lead at the end. Then again you also have to remember that this isn't going down exactly like it went in the comics. So will he do eventually end up like he is in the comics, or will he meet Milton's fate we don't know, but we will see how he turns in the next season. Yeah?

I liked Milton. Shame he ended up dead. The hard cases would be needed to survive, but to thrive communities would need clever clogs like Milton.

I liked Milton. Shame he ended up dead. The hard cases would be needed to survive, but to thrive communities would need clever clogs like Milton.

It's hard to lose men like Milton and Eugene, or Hershel and "the old man" Dale. But the good thing is that as long as they're in the play they can teach community a thing or a million about the scientific way to the survival game. So, like you say losing someone like he would hurt them badly, but it wouldn't be the end. There would be another wise man hiding in some hole down the line. And in that game Rick would have to eventually go back technological levels, probably ending with sticks and swords before they would have enough of populous to build up some of the thing that has been missing in their lives. Like for example having a glass of milk and a nice loaf of freshly baked bread.

At the moment the world around them are getting into the state, where the relics are getting buried under the nature as it takes humanity old homes. And you can see it in the series; although sometimes you look with rose-tinted glasses and just believe what you saw was the best interpretation to the world after humans. And that is because at the end it could be totally different to what we believe, and we could had nuked the civilisation centres in hope of gulling enough of zombie population.

They (the dead) are still vulnerable to the horrors of nuclear fire, and in that game, the survivors of the civilisation could be using the wonders of old civilisations to do necessary extermination in the zombie population. Although another favourable way would be just playing the waiting game and letting the nature to do the work, as you have seen in the various zombies over the season. That is because eventually the nature does it course and all the zombified creatures will be gone, cos I think the virus would try to do a species jump before it goes down in the ground.

Dale wasn't hard (neither was his threadbare pillowcase of a stomach... that was silly), he was perhaps even more annoying than Andrea.

Back