Space battle – mass/energy conversion vs stellar field collector

wwsierra

This might have been a story, short novel or full novel and I think I probably read this either late 1950s or early1960s, but it could be older. For some reason, two opposing groups (small number of people on each side) have to quickly build the weapons/shields for their own ship and then battle in space. One side, the eventual winner, converts mass to energy and sends that energy against the other. Their adversary gets their energy from the field around a star -- the closer they are to a star, the more powerful their weapon. Each side has some kind of protective shield for their ship. During the battle(s) the shield/barrier of one is improved by having the energy absorbers made into pyramidal shapes. Towards the end, the energy coming from the adversary is seen as globs of energy penetrating the barrier – later told this was super concentrated energy. The winner does some fancy trick to win. The loser says something like“you could’ve won at any time by converting us into energy”.
Anybody remember something like this? I obviously don't remember a lot of details about this, but I would like to read it again.

It's a long time since I read them, but wasn't there something like that in one of the early E.E. Smith's Lensman books? Triplanetary probably.

Certainly the globs of energy thing sounds familiar.

Hi,

I actually remember this battle from somewhere. Can't think where though. It might be Doc Smith's Lensmen series but it won't be Triplanetary since that's mainly about the establishment of the Costigan lineage. As I recall there were some big space battles in First Lensman and the following five. You might want to look there.

I'll keep thinking.

Cheers, Greg.

To both of you who replied to my book search request I say “thank you!” I’ve just finished reading Triplanetary and as suspected, it isn’t the story I recalled – but the writing style is such that I feel that the story I’m still looking for was written by E.E. Smith. The simple old style space opera of Triplanetary was a welcome change and I enjoyed reading it. Even though I must've read at least one of his books way back then, I doubt if I would’ve ever picked up any of his books if you two hadn’t have given me the incentive. I’ll be reading more of his works in the future and am confident I’ll find the one I remembered.

Once again, thank you.
Walt

Glad to have helped, even if not on the button.

Let us know if you find the actual reference later.:)

Hi,

Had a thought. If it is Doc Smith, the Skylark series may be more relevant. Unlike the Lensmen series it is pure space opera, and absolutely involves mass energy conversion weapons.

Cheers, Greg.

You may be describing Skylark Valeron which is the third of four books. It's the culmination of all the creations of Seaton and Duquesne and does have a lot of mass energy battles. This is the last that has Duquesne as the most evil of evils so though it's been a long time I think that this might be the one that ends that way and set the stage for the beginning of the next book where there is a more repentant Duquesne.

Also the last, Skylark Duquesne reintroduces some really evil aliens and more dangerous weapons.