Rick's Soul - SPOILERS!

Boaz

Happy Easter!
Major Spoiler Alert! Seasons 1-4.

I've watched through most, if not all of Season 4 (Beth and Darrell burned a house, Tyrese met Carol). I've seen Rick's awakening, Morgan, Rick's reunion with Lori and Carl, the CDC, Carl's wound, Hershel's Farm, the search for Sophia, the Prison, Asskicker's birth, Woodbury, the return of Merle, the return of the Governor, and the diaspora. Through all that... in my opinion, the most intriguing aspect of the show was the Season 2 battle for Rick's soul waged by Dale and Shane.

I've heard that the demises of both Dale and Shane occurred at different points in the comics and not right after one another as in the show. But the show's writer's really took advantage of these two men and their worldviews to define Rick as he moved forward.

Dale, a widower and former high school teacher, seems to be a semi-likable, nosy, and over protective busybody. But we find out that his involvement (you might call it meddling) in other people's lives is out of genuine concern. He sees that he is the senior member of their society and he decides to be overt in his use of wisdom, instruction, and safety for the group and for each individual... if they'll let him. He passes on knowledge to Glenn. He cares for orphans, Andrea and Amy. And he guides Rick's conscience towards respect for life. He makes his choice that he'd rather die than live without morality and self-respect.

Shane is a very likable character. He's adept with firearms. He's not afraid to fight to protect his people. Yet, we find that Shane does not hold the group close to his heart. He only really cares about Lori, Carl, and Rick. He's hardened his heart to the plight of others if they interfere with his survival. When others display survivalist tendencies, Shane shows an openess to include them... i.e. Darrell's ability to fight and track and Andrea's hostility towards Dale and Walkers. He continually pushes Rick to think of physical survival first and foremost.

Stay alive at any cost, that's Shane's motto... as Otis learned.

Hold on to your morality at any cost, that's Dale's motto... as Andrea and Glenn learned.

Shane wants to preserve humanity.

Dale wants to preserve humanity's humanity.

And then you've got Lori in the midst of it wanting Rick and yet hedging her bets with Shane.

The Lord of the Flies seems like a probable source for this situation. Simon and Piggy (Dale) fight with Jack (Shane) over the loyalty of Ralph (Rick).

The opposing views of Dale and Shane were interesting, season 2 felt like it was hammering this point home for a bit too long though... the way things have gone since shows that the showrunners are keen to explore how far Rick can be pushed (he still has at least one major comic death to come!) and can he come back from the dark places he's forced to go to?

He felt pushed into creating the Kingdom of Rick. He completely lost in when Lori died. And he completely retreated when Darrell, Carol, Glenn, Maggie, and Tyrese's sister (I cannot remember her name for the life of me) stepped up to give him a break... so much so that he tried to wish it all away. Rick's been pushed further than Tony Soprano, Nucky Thompson, and Sookie Stackhouse... and he tries to hold on to his humanity as Dale wanted. But ultimately it seems he's destined to forever follow Shane into a survival first mentality.

I think the show has done a good job of getting Rick to where he needs to be at this point in his arc. He's now pretty much fearless and every bit as ruthless as Shane was when he took Otis down or wanted to kill the kid they captured at the farm.

Not sure if you've read the comics, but Rick has a way further to go before he finds any kind of respite!

I've not read the comics, but I think the writer's conclusion is inescapable.... To cope with the end of the world, you either have to become Shane, go insane, or die.