Conceptualizing Mage 'College'

Michael Colton

As usual, I may have missed a thread elsewhere on this topic. If that is the case, point me there and I shall shuffle on over. I'm less well-read than many others as far as fantasy goes, so I may end up making quite a few of these fairly basic threads where I ask questions like a little newbie. :)

I am trying to design something akin to a Mage's College that is somewhat unique or different than the norm. Due to massively popular games such as Skyrim, everyone has heard of the concept of a Mage's Guild or Mage's College. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding aspects to focus on in order to set mine apart.

The setting is technologically akin to the late middle ages and the institution would be for adults.

I'm not very well read when it comes to mage schools/colleges, as I tend to avoid that kind of fantasy, so I can't give any ideas about what may or may not be hackneyed. I can point you in the direction of Ursula Le Guin's The Wizard of Earthsea, though, which has a school which may be of interest as it's very well handled, and well written, naturally, (I can't now recall how old the boys are within it but it may still give you pointers). I haven't read them, only a prequel, but I think the Trudi Canavan Magician books may also have a school/scholars. And, of course, Terry Pratchett has Unseen University -- though I wouldn't read about UU for tips on how to do it!

I guess most magical colleges in fantasy books and RPGs are based to some extent on educational establishments in Western Europe. So it might be worth looking at establishments in different cultures, see what about them you find different or interesting, and adapting those elements to your world.

My initial thought process is that it will not be simply an educational institution but also politically and socially involved in other ways. Representatives from the college will be present at political events, meetings, and actually have an impact of that sort. Perhaps what I am thinking of is more of an Order than a college, come to think of it.

Perhaps like shamanistic cultures where the shaman elders are called upon to perform rituals that tie together community (blessing a new dwelling that has been made perhaps?), delve into the spirit world to find answers to problems, such diseases that people are suffering as well as do the same to give guidance to the political elite and big community problems?

These, from my limited reading and observations, do seem to be very master-apprentice sort of institutions and quite 'loose', but there is likely to be many 'flavours' and different types of organisations.

As an aside, but perhaps gives you more thoughts, the most mind-bending thing* I saw was a 'lost' tribe of people likely to be descended from the Inca, that a film crew were given permission to visit deep in the Amazon (this was sometime in the late 80's, early 90's). They picked their 'elders' or 'shaman' at birth and they then proceeded to keep these children in a series of natural and man-made caves, not allowing them any access to the 'upper' world at all, but giving them a life of luxury as troglodytes. They would describe the earth above to them in words and concepts. Then when the children became adult and ready to become shaman they were allowed into the world for the first time to experience all that had only been told about.

Now this could be seen as as form of abuse - adults keeping children locked up in basements! - but they said it was process that truly imprinted on their elders how wondrous and wonderful nature really was as these people, all having gone through this 'second birth' literally had their minds blown by the effect of the reveal. As a result they never took the natural world for granted. How would your imagination of a concept of something like the sky compare with the real thing if you only had someone give you descriptions of it in words?

Anyway, sorry, just an aside that may be useful.

-------------------------------------------------------

* Can't find any info on them on the internet, so the only thing that I can vouch for this is my memory of the television programme. Hence I have no idea how true this is or if they continue to practice this. (or how successfully they are at keeping people underground for years and years...)

Usula le Guin does have the magic school setting, at least for part, but, from what i remember, it does kind of fall into the typical representation (though pre-dating most).

I can't think of any other type of mage schools in books really, not off the top of my head at least, but I would second HB's idea. Take a look at other types of education, not your standard western collegiate route. Perhaps something like a monastic, or Buddhist temple? Or you might want to go down the free thinking and democratic route of ancient Athenian teachings, more just a coming together of great and like minds, something along those lines?

Indeed, some combination of monasticism and guild apprenticeship might work. Thanks for the responses, folks. :)

See also Boarding schools (pre-victorian), Monastery schools and the Russian Internat Schools (nothing to do with International).
Yes, Roke (Earthsea Mage College is interesting). Stories like Villette and the Professor can give interesting background.
I also found it useful to read all the old School Stories (many on Gutenberg)
Pre 1914
P.G. Wodehouse, Sharpe, Angela Brazil, Charlotte Bronte (3)
Later
Chalet School 1925 -1969 (Elenor Brent Dyer), Enid Blyton (2 series), Trebizion Series Ann Digby.
Various Ballet stories (substitute the talent and hard work with Magic Talent and hard work) such as Drina (Jean Estoril)

See suggested authors in Wikipedia Boarding Schools.

Substitute
Chemistry -> Alchemy
Botany -> Herbalism
Latin/Greek -> Spells and Incantations
Physics -> Magery
Medicine -> Healing
etc ...

My "Talents" storyverse has College that anyone found to have Talent can't leave till they become a Journeyman. That comprises certain minimum education, Talent training and Social / Moral competence. You can fail most of the secular Education but not the other two categories. Species from over 2,000 worlds. It's nearly 4,000 years old in about 14 sub Colleges on the large campus in the mountains about 120km away from anywhere and replaced older Colleges. The 2nd oldest "College" is New College. The largest hall can only accommodate about 1/3rd of the Students. Anyone wanting to study 3rd level subjects properly goes to the University (120km away, nearest city) after they move from Apprentice to Journeyman. If someone's Talents are not clear or they are not yet teenager, they are in the Novitiate (who can't leave).

If someone doesn't "adjust" socially or learn to control their Talent (or emotions/Temper) they are an Apprentice limited to Campus for life.

The various Governments fund the College as the original idea was to remove the Talented from Society before they would either be exploited or cause harm to self or others. The various attainments and levels of authority are roughly equivalent to Guild & Government in Rank and income. Thus the Arch Chancellor is rank of Emperor and a Master the Rank of Count or Countess etc.

Timeline wise it's about contemporary to us, but about 5,000 years after the start of their Steam Age. Before Starships there were many separate colleges (and telepathic contact between Homeworlds). The sole Earth Woman student gets confused as to what is technology and what is Talent initially. She's 80,000 LY from home, but not missing anything or anyone, except 81% Chocolate and the lighter Earth Gravity.

Last edited:
Well, things that already exist include Hogwarts (can't believe no one else thought of that... ;) )... and Magisterium, by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. Kathleen Duey has a school in her YA stories Skin Hunger and Sacred Scars (it's horrible -- full of tunnels, dark and murderous).

Carol Berg has a college of magic in the Collegia Magica books, and Patricia McKillip has one in Alphabet of Thorn (or is it an archive and library? It's brilliant, in any case, with one alphabet made up of fish shapes) and also in her YA The Book of Atrix Wolf.

There's a fabulous magic school scene at the start of Daniel Abraham's A Shadow in Summer, too.

And no post from me is complete without a reference to Diana Wynne Jones, so there's the magical college in Year of the Griffin.

It's driving me nuts, because there's a series specifically about a college of magic by an author I really enjoyed. I thought it was Sherwood Smith, but I can't find it in the list of her novels. Bah.

I think mostly, as HB said, they're based on a Western understanding of colleges and education, although at school in Sacred Scars, they can kill you and torment you and starve you. The Daniel Abraham one is a little like that too. And Diana Wynne Jones' has griffins...

I know nothing about magic/schools or colleges (having not read any books that include them, as far as I can recall), but have there been correspondence courses, night schools (or even day release courses) for magic? (I'm assuming that magical apprenticeships have already been done to death: after all, the Sorcerer's Apprentice was written in 1797....) Obviously, such institutions may not be known by these names in the equivalent time period in which your story takes place.

I know nothing about magic/schools or colleges (having not read any books that include them, as far as I can recall), but have there been correspondence courses, night schools (or even day release courses) for magic? (I'm assuming that magical apprenticeships have already been done to death: after all, the Sorcerer's Apprentice was written in 1797....) Obviously, such institutions may not be known by these names in the equivalent time period in which your story takes place.
Imagine a modern day version where you can do an online course in magic and thaumaturgy!

Usula le Guin does have the magic school setting, at least for part, but, from what i remember, it does kind of fall into the typical representation (though pre-dating most).

I can't think of any other type of mage schools in books really, not off the top of my head at least, but I would second HB's idea. Take a look at other types of education, not your standard western collegiate route. Perhaps something like a monastic, or Buddhist temple? Or you might want to go down the free thinking and democratic route of ancient Athenian teachings, more just a coming together of great and like minds, something along those lines?

Or even darker, as Hex suggested, you could go along the Spartan route. A survival-of-the-fittest college, where you're dumped in a dark, dangerous forest as soon as you arrive and if you survive you proceed to the next level?

It might help to know how "magic" is performed in your story/world.
Is it something that anyone can do with the correct schooling and studying?
Is it limited to a select number of the population that have the "gift"?
Is it an open institution that anyone can join, provided they have the talent or capacity to do magic, or is it an elitist organisation that keeps its secrets very close to its chest as a way of exerting a form of control over others?
How do the mages of the world perceive those that can't or don't practice magic? Do they consider non-users beneath them or is there a more general attitude of benevolence towards them?
These factors will probably help you shape what kind of institution the mages are and how they pass on their knowledge.
If it's an open "school" then is there an entrance exam or aptitude test?
If its for those that have the "gift" then what is the screening process and how are candidates found and selected?

These are things I've thought about when trying to visualise these sort of institutions.

It's pretty much just Enid Blyton's School Stories and the Magic stuff from the School of The Worst Witch series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worst_Witch

Rowlings adds Dumbledore, Voldemort and Snape.

I didn't completely get that, I have to confess. I read The Worst Witch stories with my son, knowing people had commented on the similarities with Hogwarts, and didn't really see it. I haven't read many of the Enid Blytons, though. The whole thing seems a bit odd to me, in a genre packed with Tolkien imitators :)

Found the book that was bugging me: A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer.

If I were writing about such a college, I'd probably start by thinking about how people get into the college.

St. Clare's and Mallory Towers. Blyton's only school stories, and quite different to the rest of her stuff. They are more than similar though to earlier stories by Brazil and Brent-Dyer and from surviving notes she seems to have planned them and had lists to refer too. Famously she claimed generally to simply sit and type out her stories (certainly given timescale and quantity and style, that's partially believable).

Of course Hogwarts doesn't Plagiarise or copy Worst Witch or Blyton School Stories, it's her own story. But I can't believe she didn't know them!
Even the older US school stories are not quite like the UK ones, which are mostly single sex boarding schools and privileged classes, dating from early 19th C to 1960s. In a survey (in 1960s or 1970s, I forget where) the kids loved the stories, but didn't fancy the idea of actually going to a Boarding School. In real ones the Social Cliques, sexism and Bullying is far worse than anything in fiction (only Tom Brown's School days is close), they still exist and still turn out people that can really only relate to the same "set", basically socially damaged. The US boarding schools seem to have been quite different in 19th and 20th C apart from rarer.
There are few still left in Ireland. They have had the added "excitement" of being Convent, Monastery or Protestant. (Not sure if any in Norn Iron still running or any of the Anglican or Methodist ones in South still do boarders).
I had a friend at a Protestant one in Norn Iron and friend at a Convent one in Mullingar. (1970s).

@Hex
Absolutely the basis of "Magical Talent" and "entry" to the College are essential to know, even if they are little to do with the story, characters, plot etc per se, they do affect the "internal logic".

Most stories you only get in if adequately "magical" and usually if adequately "magical" you have no choice but to go.

There is also the Black Magician trilogy by Trudy Canavan. It covers topics such as a magician's guild influence over local and world politics, social segregation, use of magic in bullying and a truck more I'd be able to recall if I'd read them more recently.

Reactions: Hex
The problem for me with a lot of stories with these institutions is that they sound too much like a modern college in the way they are organized and the way the students live, when the setting is otherwise medieval or medievalish. To me, it always reads like the author's previously vivid imagination decided to take a vacation when it came time to visualize how their college of magic would work, although it's really probably a case of the writer reliving his or her happy college days (and the same with some of the readers) and following the maxim "write what you know."

But when we are setting our stories in another era, or in another world analogous to a certain era in our past, then "what you know" is not the same as "what you have experienced yourself" but "what you have researched." (Or what you have previously studied.) And then, as with so many other things in the most fascinating fantasy worlds, you can take "what you know" and extrapolate from that to create something consistent with the setting yet intriguingly different from what readers have seen in other books.

For your setting Michael, you might want to think about medieval universities and how they were set up and how the students lived. Also the kind of courses they studied. (Perhaps the lectures the students at your college attend would not all be about magic. The "quadrivium" -- arithmetic, geometry, music, and astronomy -- might actually be of use to students of magic, depending on the basis for the magic in your world.)

Of course something similar to a monastic order could work too, or a combination. Magic is dangerous, and an institution that taught magicians discipline and gave them a moral and ethical grounding while teaching them magic would be practical and desirable.

Or the school of magic might be part of a larger institution teaching other subjects. For an example of how that might work a good book to read is Academic Exercises by K. J. Parker, if you have a Kindle or a Kindle app for your computer*, a collection of stories centered around a university with colleges of magic, art, music, etc. It's a fascinating book in its own right, and I reviewed it a while ago on my blog.
________

*The hardcover price is atrocious and you can't buy the ebook in the UK, but I believe you are in the US?