Who in scifi or fantasy is your favorite bad a$$!

Eni6ma

My all time favorite is a little blond girl who is possessed by a accient god of assassination, her name Sorry and she will make you sorry! Enjoy her in the book by Stephen Erikson called Gardens of the Moon! :LOL:

Kane the Mystic Swordsman. antihero , heroic Villain, Immortal . In Karl Edward Wagner's Kane series . He wants to rule the world at almost any cost, has a habit of outwitting, and outliving his enemies and no matter how long it may takes, he will even the score on enemies.

It's been a while, but am I remembering rightly that Stormbringer not only killed you, but ate your soul? THAT'S bad*ss!

It gave some of the soul energy to the wielder. very nasty sword . but the worst incarnation of the Black Sword was The Cold Sword wielded by the Champion Erekose.

I have two possibles. One is Pug/Milamber from the series that starts with Magician; I have never before seen such a good depiction of a really powerful wizard in a BAD mood. And the other is Morgaine, from the Chronicles given her name; unswerving devotion to duty, and a willingness to do some really unpleasant stuff to save the multiverse, and carries probably the nastiest melee weapon in fiction. Changeling is seriously powerful, and hurts the wielder every second it's drawn; and she's willing to take that for the cause, too.

While writing all that, I thought of five more - they come as a package, and any of them are people who you wouldn't want to be sharing the same planet with if they have reason not to like you. The five? Christopher, Kathryn, Karen, Constance and Camilla Kinnison - the Children of the Lens.

Last edited:
What makes a good badass?
Devil may care attitude, fluffy, deadly, and a creative bender of rules.

I'm gonna give it some thought and come back. :)

Gotrek Gurnissen a mighty dwarf warrior and slayer , wields a powerful mystical axe. His chronicler and friend Felix Jaeger armed with a powerful mystical sword also quite dangerous . These are two people that if you threatened or crossed them, chances are, you'd never live to tell.

What about Royce Melborne from Riyria? Now there is a man who doesn't believe in things like mercy or not killing people.

The chair maker from Iain M. Banks Use of Weapons

Triumvir Ilia Volyova from Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space. I got the impression that Captain Brannigan's crew did some awful things in their past. I'd love for AR to revisit them.

Elric is always a favorite, but depending on what your definition of "bad ass" is, there is a book by Richard Monaco from 1985 called Broken Stone, (SPOILER ALERT) about a protagonist that has amnesia and gradually we start to learn that he is a God that was overthrown, banished, and all record of his existence wiped out except for one book.

The tome is being read by a girl and shared with others in her village. This much weakened and all but destroyed God is walking the world in a weakened but recovering state from just a handful of readers. The more that start to learn of him and consider believing in him the stronger he grows.

A LOT of the powers and markers of this confused God are very badass if one were looking for a wild protagonist.

But for general purposes Elric is way up there.