Publishing short stories in magazines before publishing them as a collection?

Great thread, folks! Currently, I'm working on shorts just to get my skills built up. I want to shop
Some to magazines. Do you suggest starting with the big ones then working down if (when) they don't accept a story? Is it bad for your reputation if you make it all the way down to the rags? Does it not matter if you're not too ambitious? How should I play this?

Depends a bit on your goals.

Generally though I would say stoke that ambition to sell to your top picks. That way you are incentivised to improve your writing - aim to get something from them. Yes if that fails, work your way down, but I'd have a cut-off on where to go next and try and go for 'significant' ones. i.e. ones that definitely pay or have some sort of reputation.

The law of diminishing returns kicks in - you have only so much time to focus on writing. Perhaps you are producing quality writing and you just haven't caught the fancy of editors*. Well then just keep plugging away sending stuff to the top end of your list. Sheer bloody-mindedness is a good quality for an author, IMO.

However, it may be that going deep down into the 'rags' actually just wastes a lot of time, and please pardon the French, has you polishing a turd for an outlet that will not give you anything and as is read by no one, gets you no reputation either** ***. In that case you really need to be doing is improving your writing craft, and getting round to writing a better next generation of stories. Don't be afraid to abandon your babies.

--------------------------------

* How do you know if your writing is good but your not getting any feedback from sending stuff in? Try and get high quality beta readers who will properly criticise. Best to have those involved in the publishing industry, otherwise utilise critique sites - such as ours, but there are quite a few other ones that are good.

** If you do end up at the bottom of your list (plenty of places will take your money rather than the other way round!) it may be that you are just not good enough - so the system is likely telling you to improve! Which can only help you in the long term. A bit of honesty helps the author also!

*** However it may be beneficial to go through a publishing process, even for a 'low pick' just to see what it is like and gain a bit of experience of publishing. (and to get a little thrill from actually publishing.) Watch out for sharks of course...

I've submitted two stories to small publications today, and I kind of wish I didn't. I wanted to use these stories in a collection of short stories book I'm putting together, but not sure if I can do that now.

The crits board gives general feedback that you might be able to use but needs to be before you publish. I think, if you're at the stage of beta reading it's probably a good time around now.

I don't know a lot about foreign translation rights. I'll tag @ctg who, if he's around, might be able to help - his first language is Finnish but he writes his book in English as the market in Finland was limited, iirc. But I'd have thought the thing to do would be to get the publisher first, if you plan the first sale in Danish and then look to seek a foreign rights agent.
In fact, that would be a great question to ask under #askagent.

Hi Jo. Sorry haven't replied before. Thanks for that. How would you propose to get crits on a book? Do you write a summary?

Regarding translation, I think I might start translating the book into English while looking for agents/publishers in Denmark once I am happy with it. And I suppose if I find an English agent first, that shouldn't matter. But I will see if I can figure out how to post the question as you suggest! (y)

Hi Jo. Sorry haven't replied before. Thanks for that. How would you propose to get crits on a book? Do you write a summary?

Regarding translation, I think I might start translating the book into English while looking for agents/publishers in Denmark once I am happy with it. And I suppose if I find an English agent first, that shouldn't matter. But I will see if I can figure out how to post the question as you suggest! (y)
Start by putting a short excerpt on critiques and see how that is received. Then, once you have got to know people a little better, you could put up a thread asking for critique partners. But, as ever with writing, reciprocity is key - critting others' excerpts (which improves our own writing skills) and books would be the norm.

Start by putting a short excerpt on critiques and see how that is received. Then, once you have got to know people a little better, you could put up a thread asking for critique partners. But, as ever with writing, reciprocity is key - critting others' excerpts (which improves our own writing skills) and books would be the norm.
OK thanks - I saw somewhere that new members could not be part of the crits discussions - but maybe I am not new anymore? o_O