Bears Discover Fire by Terry Bisson

Tanja Bisgaard

It is a Hugo Award winning short story. But I must admit I don't really get it. It's well written etc - but what exactly is the point?
Anyone have any views on that?:confused:

It won a whole bunch of awards as well as the Hugo so it clearly struck the right chord at the time. I think its power comes from the odd juxtaposition of the high emotion surrounding the dying woman with the cute idea of bears suddenly evolving. I think it has quite a 'Spielberg' quality to it - and this is the early nineties we're talking about.

I read it a couple of times and eventually might try again, but I had no idea what he was on about. Anything I tried to apply slid off rather than stuck, so I still don't know that the story was successful for me as a reader. Obviously, it worked pretty well for other readers.

Randy M.

I read it a couple of times and eventually might try again, but I had no idea what he was on about. Anything I tried to apply slid off rather than stuck, so I still don't know that the story was successful for me as a reader. Obviously, it worked pretty well for other readers.

Randy M.
Yes - that's how I feel. But maybe it has something do with being written in the nineties...!