Life may be thriving in Antarctic caves

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
A study suggested that caves beneath the ice in Antarctica could be as warm as 25 C, and have their own ecosystems including higher plants and small animals:

Unknown species may thrive in Antarctic caves - BBC News

Australian researchers said that Mount Erebus, an active volcano on Antarctica's Ross Island, is surrounded by caves hollowed out in the ice by steam.

Soil samples retrieved from the caves have revealed intriguing traces of DNA from mosses, algae and small animals.

I'm presuming by "animals" they mean insects, rather than mice, though. :)

ANd probably more water under there than suspected. No eyeballs, some of 'em - like they are blunk out, but still able to get around. Like most of the biomass of Earth - no light needed, thank you. )

I don't understand what's so intriguing about those soil samples. It could be only traces since Antarctica was part of Australia millions years ago.

It could be only traces since Antarctica was part of Australia millions years ago.

The suggestion is that we're looking at another unique cave ecosystem, like others recently found around the world. The difference being this one could be especially exotic precisely because of the reason you mentioned. :)

DNA tends to break down quickly after death, unless specifically preserved - such as by permafrost, or being encased in amber.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they found life in the caves