Word of the Day: unusual words you may not have heard of

contronym | noun | a word having two meanings that contradict one another Also known as an auto-antonym

• bound: tied, fastened or secured with a band or bond
  • bound: going or intending to go, destined (for)
It certainly seems like I should have known this, but no.

Just ran into one the other day:

involuted as opposed to the convoluted

But there doesn't seem to be a significant difference in the definitions to me.

Of course there is always:

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I presume that it is the disease you get from saying the word.

Just ran into one the other day:

involuted as opposed to the convoluted

But there doesn't seem to be a significant difference in the definitions to me.

Of course there is always:

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I presume that it is the disease you get from saying the word.
That sounds a bit like flammable and inflammable.

A lunar eclipse happens when the sun, Earth, and a full moon form a near-perfect lineup in space. The technical term for this is a syzygy.
1723452695980.jpeg

Borborygmus (pl: borborygmi)- the rumbling sounds of internal gases moving through the stomach and intestines.

Mondegreen - mishearing the lyrics of a song, and mentally substituting different words.

As in Creedence Clearwater Revival’s Bad Moon Rising: “Don’t go ’round tonight, it’s bound to take your life. There’s a bathroom on the right”

Alanis Morissette, You Oughta Know: “It’s not fair to deny me the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me.”

The Beatles’ Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds: “The girl with colitis goes by.”

Heard of; but never heard, Department:

I'd never actually heard the word "roue" spoken. Most people are more satisfied to describe a cad as a nether body part; and pardon the french.

American publishers are disinclined to print the word with an accent, for unknown reason. I've never seen it in print with an accent. I've seen it in print often enough and always pronounced it, mentally, as "roo," along with a vague notion that it might be akin to "rogue."

I had a WTF moment, last night, when Miss Priss, on tv, was complaining about being accosted by a "roo-ay;" repeating the term as if it were delicious on the tongue. I didn't know wether she was being pretentious or ignorant.

When I searched the internet for proper pronunciation, almost every hit included an accent over the "e." "Roo-ay" it is.

Where have all of these missing accents been all my life?

Heard of; but never heard, Department:

I'd never actually heard the word "roue" spoken. Most people are more satisfied to describe a cad as a nether body part; and pardon the french.

American publishers are disinclined to print the word with an accent, for unknown reason. I've never seen it in print with an accent. I've seen it in print often enough and always pronounced it, mentally, as "roo," along with a vague notion that it might be akin to "rogue."

I had a WTF moment, last night when Miss Priss, on tv, was complaining about being accosted by a "roo-ay;" repeating the term as if it were delicious on the tongue. I didn't know wether she was being pretentious or ignorant.

When I searched the internet for proper pronunciation, almost every hit included an accent over the "e." "Roo-ay" it is.

Where have all of these missing accents been all my life?
I can't provide a citation, but someone once said, "Never disparage a person who mispronounces a word, because it indicates they learned it by reading."

Back