Different beings in the same space operating on vastly different timescales

christionion

Hello.
I remember reading a book - it may have been part of a series - in 1990. I think it may have been published well before then. The setting included different ecosystems or civilisations that occupied the same space but operated on very different timescales. "The Slow" had lifespans of thousands of years. There was a medium scale too and a fast scale, whose civilizations, viewed from the perspective of the slow, bloomed and faded like fireworks. In fact I think that was an analogy made in the book. From the point of view of faster creatures, the slow were pretty much like rocks.
I seem to remember at one point the protagonist (a woman?) had to recruit the help of the wiser, but grudging Slow to help in her plight. I also seem to remember something about existing underwater or sleek creatures that swam. Could be a thick atmosphere, I guess. I think the cover was an illustration, quite colourful. Potentially the author was female, not the protagonist.
Is that enough to go on? I'd really appreciate it if someone can recognise the book.

There are hints of the Helliconia trilogy by Brian Aldiss there. But there's not much to go on...

Thanks Matteo. I've just looked up Helliconia and it does seem similar. I recall a similarly well-thought through alternative biology going on. Possibly a conflict between a warlike species and a peace-loving one. One of the species had a name that was a word like 'ungulates' but wasn't that. Sorry I can't remember more...

Iain M Banks' novel The Algebraist had a male lead character but had a similar idea of "fast" and "slow" species. It also had swimming creatures. There was also a subplot in Dinosaur Planet by Anne McCaffrey a bit like that, IIRC.

Oh... I have read The Algebraist (I love Iain M Banks). Now I'm wondering if i have a false memory that has conflated "the slow" in his world with the world created in the book I'm trying to find. In which case, I don't have much hope, do I?

I don't think it's the right answer, but Between the Strokes of Night by Charles Sheffield includes people living at vastly different metabolic speeds

There are similarities with the classic Robert L Forward's Dragon's Egg:

In a moving story of sacrifice and triumph, human scientists establish a relationship with intelligent lifeforms--the cheela--living on Dragon's Egg, a neutron star where one Earth hour is equivalent to hundreds of their years. The cheela culturally evolve from savagery to the discovery of science, and for a brief time, men are their diligent teachers.

I have sentimental reasons for trying, but I seriously doubt I'll ever identify such a hazily remembered book. Dragon's Eggs looks great though. Thanks so much for everyone's input.