Sci Fi story, dog like aliens that most people cannot perceive

Hi guys,
Been looking for this story a while now

I read it sometime around 1985, it may have been teen sci fi.
It was about the earth taken over or starting to be taken over by dog like aliens that most people could not perceive.
I think they stayed hidden through some kind of mind control.

I remember a particular scene where a story hero has to find a safe bunker put there by a secret group of humans fighting back against the alien presence.
He has a locator that takes him somewhere into a wooded area or field - he’s being pursued by the aliens, the locator takes him to a hidden elevator and he arrives into the underground bunker.
He’s wounded, and there’s an auto doc unit that sedates him and operates - during the operation he is woken to ask permission to remove his hand, it cannot be saved. He mumbled assent and goes back to sleep. When he wakes he thought it was a dream an then realizes that he now has a sophisticated prosthesis.
Somewhere in the storey is also mention that you can get wire mesh under the skin for amour.
He exits the bunker telling the controlling computer that if any dog-like beings are seen inside the bunker then self destruct immediately.

There - I hope that gives you something to go on
Looking forward to your reply.

Back