Favorite Descriptive Passages -- Not Only SF and Fantasy

How interesting - I find both of these difficult to read, and would go so far as to say the Jackson is not well written. ... Prose appreciation is a very personal thing I guess.
You may be right. To me, Jackson's prose is elegant and ominous, the slight touch of whimsy in "larks and katydids" accentuating the psychological darkness of the setting, and the closing phrase, -- "...and whatever walked there, walked alone" -- perfect foreshadowing. I had considered sending this paragraph as an example, but Victoria beat me to it.

(Edited to add the comma after "there." It emphasizes the pause, and the pause is essential.)

Last edited:
Not all description is landscape and not all effective description is detailed,

“It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.”
― Raymond Chandler, from Farewell, My Lovely

“There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.”
― Raymond Chandler, from "Red Wind"

Whatever Chandler's faults, he could describe indirectly as in the second example, or by analogy, and in either case create a distinctive voice that captures me and drags me along.

For me, the height of descriptive skill comes from the Apostle John when he's bringing to life a deep complex theological insight in such simple language that even the illiterate can hear its profound truth when the words are read.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all humankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
@Parson thanks for this.
I don’t even think one has to be religious to hear the majesty of this passage.

A longstanding atheist, I find lots of King James to be wonderfully poetic.

"I had never seen it before, this vast living thing in whose guts we were stewing. It had been a constant idea on the fringes of my mind: the wild eastern marches, festering in the heat of their own decay. The jungle was life, ravenous and abundant. There was no sharp line between land and water: the river glinted still between the boles of trees with roots like reaching fingers. The leaves were huge and drooped with their own weight and the whole smelled of rot and death. What struck me most was the darkness. It never got beyond twilight under that dank canopy. It scared me. I felt that it was one living thing, and that it was watching me. The relentless sun boiled down like the eye through which the jungle's prescence was focused. There was no wind and it was humid enough to stick my clothes to my skin from the first moment on deck."

from "Cage of Souls" by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

I don't actually like description as such or mainstream fiction much so it's ironic that this is the first thing that occurs to me. And, arguably, it is so... much... that it's bad, but it certainly astounded me on first reading and has lodged permanently in my brain:

"Eustacia Vye was the raw material of a divinity. On Olympus she would have done well with a little preparation. She had the passions and instincts which make a model goddess, that is, those which make not quite a model woman. Had it been possible for the earth and mankind to be entirely in her grasp for a while, had she handled the distaff, the spindle, and the shears at her own free will, few in the world would have noticed the change of government. There would have been the same inequality of lot, the same heaping up of favours here, of contumely there, the same generosity before justice, the same perpetual dilemmas, the same captious alteration of caresses and blows that we endure now.

"She was in person full-limbed and somewhat heavy; without ruddiness, as without pallor; and soft to the touch as a cloud. To see her hair was to fancy that a whole winter did not contain darkness enough to form its shadow: it closed over her forehead like nightfall extinguishing the western glow.

"Her nerves extended into those tresses, and her temper could always be softened by stroking them down. When her hair was brushed she would instantly sink into stillness and look like the Sphinx. If, in passing under one of the Egdon banks, any of its thick skeins were caught, as they sometimes were, by a prickly tuft of the large Ulex Europæus—which will act as a sort of hairbrush—she would go back a few steps, and pass against it a second time.

"She had Pagan eyes, full of nocturnal mysteries, and their light, as it came and went, and came again, was partially hampered by their oppressive lids and lashes; and of these the under lid was much fuller than it usually is with English women. This enabled her to indulge in reverie without seeming to do so: she might have been believed capable of sleeping without closing them up. Assuming that the souls of men and women were visible essences, you could fancy the colour of Eustacia’s soul to be flame-like. The sparks from it that rose into her dark pupils gave the same impression.

"The mouth seemed formed less to speak than to quiver, less to quiver than to kiss. Some might have added, less to kiss than to curl. Viewed sideways, the closing-line of her lips formed, with almost geometric precision, the curve so well known in the arts of design as the cima-recta, or ogee. The sight of such a flexible bend as that on grim Egdon was quite an apparition. It was felt at once that the mouth did not come over from Sleswig with a band of Saxon pirates whose lips met like the two halves of a muffin. One had fancied that such lip-curves were mostly lurking underground in the South as fragments of forgotten marbles. So fine were the lines of her lips that, though full, each corner of her mouth was as clearly cut as the point of a spear. This keenness of corner was only blunted when she was given over to sudden fits of gloom, one of the phases of the night-side of sentiment which she knew too well for her years.

"Her presence brought memories of such things as Bourbon roses, rubies, and tropical midnight; her moods recalled lotus-eaters and the march in 'Athalie'; her motions, the ebb and flow of the sea; her voice, the viola. In a dim light, and with a slight rearrangement of her hair, her general figure might have stood for that of either of the higher female deities. The new moon behind her head, an old helmet upon it, a diadem of accidental dewdrops round her brow, would have been adjuncts sufficient to strike the note of Artemis, Athena, or Hera respectively, with as close an approximation to the antique as that which passes muster on many respected canvases."

-- Thomas Hardy, The Return of the Native, opening of Chapter VII, "Queen of Night"

It actually goes on longer in a way and, if the above wasn't too long for you, you can read about her less arresting antecedents and place in Egdon Heath at Project Gutenberg, but the above covers her specifically and completes the "model goddess" notion.