The Thread of Un-remembered and Little Remembered Cartoons and TV Shows

Gigantor
Prince Planet
Marine Boy

These were among the earliest anime along with show Astro Boy, Kimba The White Lion and Speed Racer(the three being the best remembered from that time period) to be shown in the United States. The animating quality was batter them most other Us Produced Cartoon tv show of that era .
Loved Marine Boy especially for the title music

Loved Marine Boy especially for the title music

And his mermaid sidekick and , the fact that the show was in color. it's was pretty good tv shows and looked way better then then the vast majority of the cartoon shows being produced on American television at that time. :cool:

Noggin the Nog enthralled me as a youngling

Likewise. The Smallfilms animations, narrated by Oliver Postgate were a special part of my childhood. I bought most of them on DVD for my own kids when they were little: The Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Bagpuss.

I would include Mr Ben and The Magic Roundabout in this category. Odd, engrossing, non-violent, very reassuring late 60s-early 70s independent British productions ( Magic Roundabout animation was French but the script and narration was British.)

I don’t know if any of these made it across the pond. They are deeply cherished in the UK.

Last edited:
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio

You might find the Future Quest Comics to be of interest. In this series , tall their heroes from, to Johnny Quest ,Space Ghost, The Herculoids, Birdman , The Galaxy Trio , Space Ghost, Mightor, Frankenstein Jr i all team up to battle great evil.

There also a crossover in which Adam Strange from the DC Univsese meets Johnny Quest and , there also a comic crossover where Green Lantern runs into Space Ghost .

There is also a Mad Max Like like twisted version of Wacky Races Titled Wacky Race Land .

Then there's the comic Scooby Apocalypse.

Last edited:
Likewise. The Smallfilms animations, narrated by Oliver Postgate were a special part of my childhood. I bought most of them on DVD for my own kids when they were little: The Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Bagpuss.

I would include Mr Ben and The Magic Roundabout in this category. Odd, engrossing, non-violent, very reassuring late 60s-early 70s independent British productions ( Magic Roundabout animation was French but the script and narration was British.)

I don’t know if any of these made it across the pond. They are deeply cherished in the UK.

Yes, these shows as well as Trumpton, Camberwick Green, Bagpuss and Ivor tge Engine promoted a gentle, non-confrontational and non-violent message to children

Tom Slick

George of the Jungle, did fall into the category of forgotten until Brendan Frasier brought the chatter to life on the big screen.

The Famous Adventures of Mr Magoo 1964 This was a retelling claaois from Frankenstein to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the Count of Monte Christo with Quincy Magoo in the lead as voiced by Jim Backus . this series, he's not bumbling, stumbling and unaware but deadly serious and this is what made this show work as well as it did.

Tom Slick

George of the Jungle, did fall into the category of forgotten until Brendan Frasier brought the chatter to life on the big screen.
These, and Super Chicken, are from the same stable that made Rocky & Bullwinckel.

My spouse has often spoke of a 1971 made for TV cartoon, seen only once. The Point.
The wikipedia link is also worth a read with a surprising number of big names involved: -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Point!
The hit single from the movie, Me and My Arrow, was used to promote the new Plymouth (and Dodge in Canada) compact, Arrow.

K2

Last edited: