The Thread of Un-remembered and Little Remembered Cartoons and TV Shows

My spouse has often spoke of a 1971 made for TV cartoon, seen only once. The Point.
The wikipedia link is also worth a read with a surprising number of big names involved: -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Point!
The hit single from the movie, Me and My Arrow, was used to promote the new Plymouth (and Dodge in Canada) compact, Arrow.

K2
I saw that actual viewing when I was 4 or 5, on the BBC I think. It must have made a deep impression. My memories of it were a bit fuzzy and I was not sure years afterwards that I had not dreamed it. Until I found it, in 2005 , in a video rental shop in Vancouver. I now have it on DVD. It is quite dreamlike and occasionally a bit alarming. Music by Harry Nilsson.

I saw that actual viewing when I was 4 or 5, on the BBC I think. It must have made a deep impression. My memories of it were a bit fuzzy and I was not sure years afterwards that I had not dreamed it. Until I found it, in 2005 , in a video rental shop in Vancouver. I now have it on DVD. It is quite dreamlike and occasionally a bit alarming. Music by Harry Nilsson.
I'm sure you noticed Ringo Star as the narrator and other voices. Oblio's voice was Mike Lookinlad--better known as Bobby Brady. It didn't strike me like it did my spouse, who I would estimate was ten when it showed. I missed out on everything back then and didn't see it until my 50s, and I suspect if you rewatched it, it might not hit you the same. A strange little tale, yet I guess that's what you get when you put an acid trip to music (or so it is claimed).

K2

Bleep and Booster, a cartoon segment in Blue Peter, in which there's no animation to speak of.

The following is from 1969 (long after I'd stopped watching it) and doesn't seem much of an improvement on the earlier shows I recall:

My spouse has often spoke of a 1971 made for TV cartoon, seen only once. The Point.
The wikipedia link is also worth a read with a surprising number of big names involved: -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Point!
The hit single from the movie, Me and My Arrow, was used to promote the new Plymouth (and Dodge in Canada) compact, Arrow.

K2

I saw it on tv , I remember it . :)

I agree with Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors. You had to get up early on a weekend to catch that one. Similarly for “Mask”.
The Mysterious Cities of Gold was a show to rush back from school for. There were French sequels 10 years ago but apparently not as good.

I would include [...] The Magic Roundabout in this category. Odd, engrossing, non-violent, very reassuring late 60s-early 70s independent British productions ( Magic Roundabout animation was French but the script and narration was British.)

I don’t know if any of these made it across the pond. They are deeply cherished in the UK
And very sadly not available on dvd.

The Astronut was my favourite as a child... don't want to revisit it as an old man though

Gigantor
Prince Planet
Marine Boy

These were among the earliest anime along with show Astro Boy, Kimba The White Lion and Speed Racer(the three being the best remembered from that time period) to be shown in the United States. The animating quality was batter them most other Us Produced Cartoon tv show of that era .
There was an early '60s B&W Tezuka series about a boy and three animals on a farm who were really aliens in disguise... a horse, a duck and a bunny! The boy was named Ronnie (at least in the American dubbed version). It was named The Amazing Three (Wonder Three in Japan) and I would buy a legit set of them in a second. Some video tapes I have of them look like they were taped off on Los Angeles' KCOP channel. I saw Marine Boy back in the day and it was one of my favorites (with Piper and Bolton in a mini sub and Splasher the dolphin)! My older brother used to watch Gigantor apparently, he would sing the theme song, but I, five years younger, never remembered seeing it.

I remember a British cartoon series with narration from Bernard Cribbins almost nobody else seems to recall... Simon In The Land Of Chalk Drawings. I think Mike Myers saw it though as he did some sort of English child skit where he pronounced drawings as 'drawrings' which seemed to reference this show... as Canadians we got some Brit shows the U.S. didn't I think, Myers seemed to be doing a Les Dawson/Tommy Cooper impersonation on a revival of The Gong Show for another thing.

Let's see, I have UK DVDs of these shows: The Changes, Timeslip, Sky, The Owl Service, The Phoenix And The Carpet, Catweasel, Dramarama: Spooky, Nobody's House, Carrie's War, Ghosts Of Motley Hall, Shadows, Come Back Lucy, Ace Of Wands... off the top of my head (I know I'll think of others after I post this); really made getting a region 2 player worthwhile!

Have Region 1 for Moondial, The Tomorrow People and Doctor Who.

Also have some Sooty, Hector's House, Pingwings, Button Moon, Bagpuss, and Basil Brush Region 2 DVDs, because I'm well daft am I! But, there's nowt wrong wi' being daft my Yorkshire grandad might've said. I even like Shaun The Sheep!

Crusader Rabbit is an American animated series created by Alexander Anderson and Jay Ward, and the first of its kind to be produced specifically for television.

Ive heard of it over the years didn't see an episode of till moment ago on YouTube . Very little actual animation , mostly static scenes with few animated bits. Not surprising given how expensive animation was to produce even for the cinema shorts . Early Television did have the budgets animation with any level of complexity of movement.

Last edited:
Bleep and Booster, a cartoon segment in Blue Peter, in which there's no animation to speak of.

The following is from 1969 (long after I'd stopped watching it) and doesn't seem much of an improvement on the earlier shows I recall:

Ive never had of this one .:unsure: Interesting a show with this type static of story telling animation was still being produced a this relatively late date.:(

I am very fond of Ulysses 31 - which had a special kind of weird that I found fascinating. It's oddness turned out to be that it was my first real exposure to Japanese animation in contrast to all the American stuff I had seen previously. (And the original scripts were French.)

Last edited: