Doctor Who; The Church on Ruby Road (Christmas Special 2023)

That makes perfect sense! I guess that’s what most writers do.

Oddly enough, just the other day I was watching a repeat of the Big Bang Theory episode where Professor Proton was asking Leonard why he put up with Sheldon and saying that Leonard's descriptions of Sheldon could equally be applied to a dog.

That would be an interesting, but fraught, crossover episode!

Sorry, it is not clear what I meant. I guess most writers write primarily for themselves.
I'm sure they'd want to, but I'm not sure to what extent that was the case with classic Who. There you could have many writers in each season, as shown in this table on Wikipedia, so each had limited ability to influence the overall tone of the show and were primarily fitting their stories within an overall idea formed by others (the producers, maybe). I imagine (but don't have documentary evidence to back it up) that in the reboot RTD had a much freer rein.

This was delightfully fun and whimsical.
Jabba the Goblin's yen for a baby snack might have made younger viewers cringe a bit, but overall this should appeal to all ages.
Is the new Doctor Who vision a return to the show's child programming roots?

I'm sure they'd want to, but I'm not sure to what extent that was the case with classic Who. There you could have many writers in each season, as shown in this table on Wikipedia, so each had limited ability to influence the overall tone of the show and were primarily fitting their stories within an overall idea formed by others (the producers, maybe). I imagine (but don't have documentary evidence to back it up) that in the reboot RTD had a much freer rein.
Individual authors could certainly write for themselves. Hence the Sunmakers was made because the writer hated taxes, and the prolific environmental stories of the Pertwee era.

I forgot about the song. I did have a foreboding back in September though:-
The only word I could hear them singing during the episode was, “baby”, but I did get the impression that they weren’t planning to give her a cuddle.

Forgot the Goblin Song. Thanks Pyan. Great, what I assume was, AI.
My standard for critter animation of whatever style is the Muppets, who are decidedly NOT AI. Guess that Disney money was put to good use. I think that I am violating my claim of being a Who traditionalist, but I really enjoyed it.

Random thought. Disney owns what was the Jim Henson company. Muppets in Who future?

Last edited: