Help with beginner Fantasy series/books

She had a sword that might be seen as either magic or super-futuristic alien-science, depending on how you look at it.

Worlds die during that series, people are tied up and fed to wolves, allies end up possessed or accidentally whisked off into the void to perish, which all seems pretty dark to me. Plus the extended torture of our hero in the last book. But I understand that different readers have a different threshold for what they consider dark and violent, or simply exciting adventure.

I guess I should find my Morgaine books and reread. I can't remember them very well, other than she had a horse and a magic sword - maybe??
The books are as much SF as they are fantasy. Her sword is really a tool to channel the power of the gates. It creates a vortex that sucks everything into the gates‘ void - a fate worse than death.

I can‘t remember my last reread. It was probably 20 years ago. When it comes to books I really love, I am miserly with rereads. It’s like having a treasure in easy reach and being careful not to squander it. And these books are among my absolute favourites.

She had a sword that might be seen as either magic or super-futuristic alien-science, depending on how you look at it.

Worlds die during that series, people are tied up and fed to wolves, allies end up possessed or accidentally whisked off into the void to perish, which all seems pretty dark to me. Plus the extended torture of our hero in the last book. But I understand that different readers have a different threshold for what they consider dark and violent, or simply exciting adventure.
Oh, their world is plenty dark, but the two characters are so bright that they light that darkness for me. Maybe that‘s the way I perceive it because the first time I read the books was a dark time in my own life and I very much admired Vanye for facing his own demons and accepting the necessity to grow with his experiences.

The books are as much SF as they are fantasy. Her sword is really a tool to channel the power of the gates. It creates a vortex that sucks everything into the gates‘ void - a fate worse than death.

I can‘t remember my last reread. It was probably 20 years ago. When it comes to books I really love, I am miserly with rereads. It’s like having a treasure in easy reach and being careful not to squander it. And these books are among my absolute favourites.
LOL - It's been longer than that for me.