Alien: Romulus (2024)

Although Brian Glover was probably the last person you expected to find on a penal colony in outer space. You can take a bloke out of Yorkshire...
He had one of the best lines.
"We've 25 prisoners in this facility. All double-Y chromos. All thieves, rapists, murderers, child-molesters... All scum. Just because they have taken on religion doesn't make them any less dangerous. I try not to offend their convictions. I don't want to upset the order. I don't want ripples in the water. And I don't want a woman walking around, giving them ideas."

As this is set inbetween Alien and Aliens I suppose if there is any human survivors the evidence will be kept secret from most. As in Aliens Ripley's experience was meant to be a one off.

Is Romulus just a cool name or related to the founding of an Empire? :O

Is Romulus just a cool name or related to the founding of an Empire?
Perhaps it's an indirect pun, one where Remus (the brother of Romulus) is changed into "ream us" and used in the phrase, "Those aliens ream us," i.e. the aliens make/enlarge a hole in us when they burst out of our chests.

Or perhaps not.

Or maybe because huggers are Rome-in the ship?

Ironically, the xenomorph suffered from acid indigestion when consuming a female Marine, but nevertheless he was still gladiator.

I think part of the space station's Remus and the other Romulus, with one older and abandoned and another more recent.

It's set between the first two movies, and is supposed to be a standalone, and probably intended for those who had never seen any of the Alien movies because they're too young, which is similar to what happened to not only Fury Road (made decades after the last Max movie) but even to Furiosa (made a decade after Fury Road came out), which looks like a Marvel movie set in a post-apocalyptic world. That might also explain why Romulus looks like an Evil Dead movie in space: it's probably intended as a reboot of the franchise.

The problem lies with those who are fans of the franchise, as there are glaring contradictions. For example, it looks like in Aliens no one had heard about the aliens, and yet in Romulus and in the game Isolation there are multiple personnel from many agencies (even corporations other than Weyland-Yutani) involved, and given the trailers, all types of experiments conducted long before the fourth movie, which is set more than two centuries after.

There are more complications given the prequels, and probably even more given the upcoming TV show.

Maybe this is where the Alien and Star Trek universes converge?

Check out the Tommy Westphall Universe:

That is, if the same Yoyodyne makes ship components in Star Trek.

Seems to be reasonably well reviewed, but some criticism of the ending.
Many comment that it is the best Alien movie since Aliens. Although some of the supporters also like Prometheus so must be a young crowd.

Well, I'll be watching it streaming. I did consider going to the cinema. My problem isn't "Is this a good film?" My problem is that it cannot ever recreate the surprises that I had in Alien or the suspense that was created in that film. I had absolutely no idea what I was going to watch at the cinema. This is a sequel. Not only do I know what is going to happen, I could probably write this myself (or an AI could write it after entering all the other scripts!) That undoubtedly does make me too old (as I had no problem with Terminator 2 being a remake of Terminator, but that somehow this is a problem for me) so if a younger audience want to watch Alien again with modern actors, better special effects and more green lighting, who am I to criticise them?

I guess that's what the producers thought: make it look like an Army of the Dead in space. Since it was meant for streaming, then you won't need a big budget. If the plot's simple enough such that it's set in mostly one area and involves closed sets, then use practical effects. And since it can be assumed that most had never heard about the other movies, then just rehash material from those to speed up development time. Also, if many also played games like Isolation, then borrow from that as well, and make it look like a game: cram it with lots of action and one conflict after another.