Another word for barstool without the word stool in it.

msstice

200 words a day = 1 novel/year
"barstool" exactly describes what I mean. However, I worry about the other meanings of the word "stool". Is there a more dignified (?) word for the word barstool?

Personally I can't see anything wrong with barstool. But an alternative could be bar chair or bar seat?

Informally you could be informally invited to 'pull up a pew' (although a pew is actually a bench) or 'pull up a perch'.

But there aren't many alternatives to barstool, because that is what it is.

If you mean the other sense, then maybe squealer, snitch, or informer
No - I do mean the seat.

@paranoid marvin I agree: bar seat and bar chair don't quite hit the target like barstool. Ok, I'll go with that: if someone giggles when they read barstool, well, there's one in every class.

However, "pull up a pew" is a new one for me. Let me meditate on that ...

Here are some courtesy of ChatGPT

• High seat
  • Pub chair
  • Counter chair
  • Tall seat
  • Breakfast chair
  • Bistro seat
  • Swivel chair
  • Standing seat
  • Elevated seat
  • Bar perch

When I was 13 I was rushed into hospital with appendicitis, they operated to remove my appendix.

Nowadays they send you home the next day but back then it was typically eight days on the ward until you were declared fit.

The third day they gave me a little plastic tub with a lid and told me to put a stool in it sometime that day.
Being a naive young lad I spent several hours puzzling about how to achieve this
"I think I'll have to take the legs off first"

Then I heard an old bloke in the opposite bed chatting as he was handing his sample to the nurse and realisation finally dawned.

That kind of stool is only called that, because of pooping while on a stool - as in commode. All these polite circumlocutions just smut up formerly clean words.
I tend to get a little blunt in medical situations - like when they say "if you'd like to undress" draw a curtain and drift away, I just say "checking to be sure I've got it right - you do want me to take off my underwear, right?"

No - I do mean the seat.

@paranoid marvin I agree: bar seat and bar chair don't quite hit the target like barstool. Ok, I'll go with that: if someone giggles when they read barstool, well, there's one in every class.

However, "pull up a pew" is a new one for me. Let me meditate on that ...
Or they never been to a bar or saw a tv program/western movie before where there was a Bar scene.

"Take a seat at the bar," might work. Or something kind of self-explanatory perhaps?

from www.etymonline.com

barstool (n.)​

also bar-stool, bar stool, "tall, padded stool for customers at a bar," 1910, from bar (n.2) + stool.
also from 1910

Entries linking to barstool

bar (n.2)

"tavern," 1590s, so called in reference to the bars of the barrier or counter over which drinks or food were served to customers (see bar (n.1)).

stool (n.)

Middle English stōl, from Old English stol "seat for one person," from Proto-Germanic *stōla- (source also of Old Frisian stol, Old Norse stoll, Old High German stuol, German Stuhl "seat," Gothic stols "high seat, throne"), from PIE *sta-lo-, locative of root *sta- "to stand, make or be firm" (source also of Lithuanian pa-stolas "stand," Old Church Slavonic stolu "stool").
The English word was originally used of thrones (as in cynestol "royal seat, throne") and in early Middle English still of episcopal seats and sees and judicial benches. Its decline in sense began with adoption of chair (n.) from French. After 14c. this relegated stool to small seats without arms or backs (attested also from late Old English), sometimes a piece of wood mounted on three legs, or to "privy" (early 15c.) and thence to "bowel movement" (1530s).
Barstol
Barstola
Barstohl
Barstolu

Finally
Barchair
Or
Barseat

Or for the crass bartender.
"'Ay-sit your arse on the 'privy'"

I mean, even Detritus gets it wrong...

Detritus came in, nodded at Cheery, and looked carefully around the room. Finally he picked up a battered chair.
'Dis'll have to do,' he said. 'If he want, I can break der back off fit.'
'What?' said Cheery.
'(Doctor) said for to get a stool sample,' said Detritus, going out again...

Feet of Clay - TP.

Last edited:
I have never, ever, thought of a turd when offered a barstool. The original concern is a moot point, in my opinion.

I thought it might be a fun twist to remark that I had once seen a bar-stool, when a drunken patron had lost control... but, despite many many crazy nights in taverns, saloons, bars, pubs and cocktail lounges... I have never, ever, actually, seen human exhaust on the floor of a drinking establishment. Which rather surprises me, when I reminisce. Really? Never?

Road apples, though. That I've seen. I have an epic story about swapping beers and lies with a Hell's Angel, all evening, in a roadhouse, in Wyoming; when a drunken cowboy rode his horse into the bar.

Pure chaos. Panicked horse. Tables, food, drink and horse exhaust scattered from the piano, to the spittoons, to the bar seats. Absolutely hilarious!

"barstool" exactly describes what I mean. However, I worry about the other meanings of the word "stool". Is there a more dignified (?) word for the word barstool?
You know, this has been a fun thread, but were you even moderately serious about this? This is a UK website - home of spotted dick. There is nothing wrong with barstool to normal people.

Anyway, if you are talking about writing, all you have to say is "Sat down at the bar" or "pulled his seat closer." Context does all the heavy lifting, because the reader knows what kind chairs bars have. AND, it doesn't matter if they are tall stools or not to your story.

You don't have to use the word 'spaceship' to write about them, either.

There is comedy gold in avoiding words with innuendo possibility:
Head
Gash
Hole
Erect
Ejaculate
We
Wee
Stool
Runs
Balls
Pole
Old man
Knocker
Squirt
Specs
Helmet
Moist
Dribble
Droop
Chopper

One has to admire Herman Melville for naming one of the most famous novels in history after a sexually transmitted disease.