July Reading Thread

I hope you enjoy it. There is a movie planned which should be interesting if they use live sheep
My interest is fading now, I get bored with reading dream descriptions when the characters are human, reading about sheep's dreams (a lot!) is almost as wearisome as counting the woolly beasts

My interest is fading now, I get bored with reading dream descriptions when the characters are human, reading about sheep's dreams (a lot!) is almost as wearisome as counting the woolly beasts
The beginning is slow, but it picks up pace, and then end is interesting.

Did they count people?

I'm now diving back into the Star Trek universe, with Destiny, Book 1: Gods of Night. This is a bit of a Trek-series mash-up, featuring characters from various TV and novel series. Mack's Destiny series is considered a high water-mark in Trek fiction - and critical to the Trek 'extended universe' - so I think I'll probably enjoy this as some biblio-popcorn between Phyllis Paul (just read) and whatever comes after.

About fifty years ago I read The Other by Thomas Tryon, and I just finished a reread. It holds up and remains one of the three sturdy legs of the horror boom of the 1970s and '80s. Unfortunately, the movie adaptation didn't create the controversy and enthusiasm the movies of The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby did, creating a continuing demand for those novels. The Other has been out of print for long periods of time, most recently reissued by the New York Review Books.

The story is told mainly through the perspectives of Niles and Holland, twin brothers whose father has died, after which their mother has retreated to her room and bottles of rye, and whose grandmother, Ada, is left to care for them. The twins seem to split between darkness and light as, over the course of a summer, their family suffers one loss after another, raising the question, who is responsible?

Busy with the Lily Bard Mysteries Omnibus by Charlaine Harris. Unfortunately, not a vampire, witch, elf, ghost or pink unicorn in sight. A collection of 5 standard darkish-cozy mystery novels.

I'm now diving back into the Star Trek universe, with Destiny, Book 1: Gods of Night. This is a bit of a Trek-series mash-up, featuring characters from various TV and novel series. Mack's Destiny series is considered a high water-mark in Trek fiction - and critical to the Trek 'extended universe' - so I think I'll probably enjoy this as some biblio-popcorn between Phyllis Paul (just read) and whatever comes after.

Do the characters from the shows actually feel like their TV counterparts? I've read a few books that bring in characters from TV shows and they make an attempt to expand on their depth but it ends up feeling like someone else entirely.

I finished Dragonflight a few days ago now and enjoyed it so much I decided to go ahead and read the immediate sequel, Dragonquest... and bounced right off of it. The shift from the time-travel adventure of the first book to the rather dry politics and somehow-flatter characters of the second threw me off quite a bit. Storygraph says I got about 20% in before giving up. I'll probably come back to it in a few months or something.

I got my mitts on a copy of A Wizard of Earthsea the other day and have been plugging through that in the meantime. I've never actually read any Leguin but so far I'm enjoying the style and tone of the writing quite a bit. There's a gentle fairy-tale feel to it that I really enjoy. I won't go after the rest of this series but I'll definitely read some of her adult fiction soon.