Anyone here found their Windows computer crashed today?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone here affected by the Crowdstrike crash today?

Although it's suggested to be the world's biggest IT outage to date, I'm given the impression it's mainly affecting corporate customers rather than home users?

Presumably someone affected may not be able to reply for a while. Restoring an affected machine seems quite tricky to someone who is technically unskilled.

From that article it seems more likely that corporations would have the software affected.

At work we don't use that particular software; however within the last week I have struggled with some machines that have faltered seriously when seeming to require an update and then while updating they have frozen or at the very least taken seriously long times to update.. The worst was one machine that was acting strange and working exceedingly slowly that required an update and when that was run, it crashed with a serious blue screen error and then required a good hour to do what the screen message suggested was a cleanup that I was not all that sure the machine would recover from. After having to turn it off several times--which the screen massage said not to do--it finally came up and began working at regular speed again.

The thrust of that is that I wouldn't be surprised if this were a combination of something wrong with that piece of software and something wrong with Microsoft updates in general.

Only 1 percent of the machines running windows crashed. The problem was that there are a lot of machines dependent on those machines. To be a cloudstruck customer you need to have a lot of money. They only have 29,000 customers. The cloudstruck company was trying to fix a latency issue from a previous upgrade. The ordinary persons machine was not part of this upgrade. I think around half of the fortune 500 use cloudstruck. Anyone with a competent, inhouse, well staffed IT department, probably was only down for a short time. It was probably the places that outsource everything that got really hammered. You have to physically be at the machine and delete a file before the machine can be restarted. This highlights the foolishness of companies thinking they can get by with far less employees for any part of their business than they actually need.

Anyone here affected by the Crowdstrike crash today?

Although it's suggested to be the world's biggest IT outage to date, I'm given the impression it's mainly affecting corporate customers rather than home users?
Crowdstrike is mostly for larger organisations or businesses with a focus on IT security. Home Users were unlikely to be affected but the major issue was that air gapped systems (systems that by design cannot be accessed remotely)

I'm not convinced that the CrowdStrike issue was a genuine bug with a release rather than a disgruntled employee. The weird thing is that CrowdStrike allows for staging environments, I know from other engineers that larger organisations had live systems taken down because the CS update completely ignored any staging environment configurations in its environment.

You have to physically be at the machine and delete a file before the machine can be restarted.
Not exactly, this can be done externally and in most cases was, however you are right in the main it required physical access to the device.

I was involved in a lot of complex roll-outs in my career. One thing I was taught early on was that almost as much effort should be spent on planning the roll-back in the event of a problem.

Back