Your Favourite Painting

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
I found this yesterday in Newport Museum Gallery. I absolutely love it.
It is my new favourite.
Portofino Painted by war artist Eric Henry kennington in 1952.

1721574607252.png

Last edited:
I know it might sound a bit cliché, but I'm crazy about that painting 'The Dance'. No other painting has ever made me feel the way that one does. It's just so...

Attachments

• photo_2024-07-21_20-50-09.jpg
    photo_2024-07-21_20-50-09.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 55
I'm a big fan of this 'Young Lady with a Parrot' by Rosalba Carriera:
default.jpg

And I also really love all of Henri Rousseau's jungle paintings, especially The Dream. There's something really special about them that's hard to pin down.

I don't think I have a favourite, but there are a lot of paintings that I like which I wouldn't want to hang on my wall and look at every day.

I really like the landscapes of Eric Ravilious.

1722168308552.png

I've recently got into the art for Moebius' strange graphic novel Edena. I like his use of colour and fading.

1722168547857.png

I also saw this today: it's called Sark by Edward Reginald Frampton, and I like it a lot.

1722168036631.png

I really like the landscapes of Eric Ravilious.

I was fully prepared not to think much of that Ravilious painting, but something about it makes me want to stare at (well, into) it...

...almost as if I'm looking through a portal at a (slightly, but somehow also significantly) different parallel world.

Many Magrittes. Would not care to choose just one, but 'Golconda' plus any of the more vertical Empires of Light.
Both of Matisse's 'La Danse', which I saw together in Paris in the 1990s.

Some of my favourites have been mentioned already, Salvador Dali has been my favourite artist since I attended his exhibition at the Tate in May 1980, and I have a jigsaw puzzle of my actual favourite painting (the Bosch shown above)

So instead, here’s a painting I own. I love outsider art in all forms, and I discovered that a local friend paints in a style that I like a lot. He does it just because he likes doing it, and doesn’t sell them.
So when he announced earlier this month that he is going to sell one and was open to offers, I immediately said I’d pay £20, which he agreed to, and the next day I took it home.

Here it is, I love it

IMG_1099.jpeg