Books that you find hard to read after watching the film.

The books, the tv series, the radio series, the computer game and the movie are all unique experiences; no two are quite the same, and this was done purposely.

Adams at least wrote the screenplay for the big screen version, so at least what we saw to a significant extent was what he had envisaged. The end result was.. different and... interesting, not always in a good way.

I'm glad we got that version, rather than another that had no input from the great man. But for me the tv series is the best version. The actors cast were perfect for the role; I can't imagine anyone being more 'Arthur Dent' than Simon Jones - and I always have had a crush on Sandra Dickinson (Trillian).

I liked the series too.

In the film When Marvin fired the emotion gun at the Vogans and they all collapses whining " Oh, I m so depressed " I loved that scene !:D

It was a good thing that they had a backup copy of Earth .:D

Last edited:
Never really had a problem with books and films. I see them as quite seperate. I am legend for instance only bears a passing resemblance to its film versions. Generally I prefer it this way. I once watched "Complicity" which followed the Iain Banks book very closely but which I found boring, perhaps because it followed the book there were no surprises. On the other hand what Peter Jackson did with Golem went above and beyond what Tolkien did and was the better for it.

Currently I have really enjoyed the TV series of Interview with the Vampire, which again i see as being a seperate artist endeavour to the book.

In this case I would thoroughly recommend the book as sparkling, witty , and clever, and complementary to the film.

Oh I read the book.

And I'm not going to criticise it. But as a way of telling the story, the movie is just light years ahead because the movie is perfect.

I'll only ever reread the book if I need to for comparison purposes. I'll probably watch the movie about three times a year.