(Found) Wracking my brain to remember a book. Please help

bobobobob

Hi. I just found this site and have had a bit of fun reading the posts. There are lots of books that I now want to read.

Can you help me to name this book or series please? The back story of the book is that humans go into space only to find that there are lots of species that have psionic powers. So a spaceship is sent out to collect specimens of different species to deliver them back to earth for testing. But along the way the ship crashes on an unpopulated planet. Some humans and some of the aliens survive and they spread out across the planet. Over the centuries the humans devolve back to an agricultural society and the aliens band together through a common hatred of humans. The attack the human settlements.

The sentient human spaceship realises that humans will have a hard time surviving and so it hides itself underground on an island. Whenever it detects any human with limited psionic abilities it lures the person to its island, puts them to sleep and carries it onboard where it injects it with an alien symbiotic organism that enhances the persons abilities. In order to lure the person the ship uses some sort of hologram of a "little person"/fey/leprechaun. Once the person has abilities they are supposed to protect humanity.

That's as much as I can remember. Any thoughts?