DISCUSSION THREAD -- August 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
August's 75 Word Challenge is open! And since I know what you were hoping for, here it is...

THEME: CLOTHING
GENRE: OPEN HISTORICAL FICTION

By "open" historical fiction, I mean that I'd like the setting to be from a real period and place in history, but take it from there in whatever way you wish -- staying with plain history, twisting it with SF or fantasy, making it horror or a detective story, or wherever your imagination takes you. The historical world is your lobster!

Good luck, everyone!

Crikey, what a topping set of submissions to kick the challenge off with, eh what?

@Ashleyne .... Blanche the Stripper .... A misunderstood hero, or a dangerous psychotic?

@Victoria Silverwolf .... The Bargain .... A fine finish to the tale brings everything into sharp focus.

@paranoid marvin .... Give It Some Welly .... Excellent versifying which promulgates a new myth about the great man.

Last edited:
@The Judge , are you excluding prehistory from the genre? Could I write a story about the invention of clothes by Neanderthals or Early Man, for instance? Or would a story about alien visitors who arrive during the Jurassic period and leave a hat behind qualify?

@The Judge , are you excluding prehistory from the genre? Could I write a story about the invention of clothes by Neanderthals or Early Man, for instance? Or would a story about alien visitors who arrive during the Jurassic period and leave a hat behind qualify?
No, I wouldn't exclude it, and both types of story sound fine to me!

And just to say I'm really happy with the stories so far, doing just what I'd hoped -- history with a twist! (Twistory??)

@Ashleyne .... BLANCHE THE STRIPPER .... This is a story which keeps twisting in unusual and surprising ways.

@Victoria Silverwolf .... The Bargain .... This story is a delightful tale that puts me in mind of a classic novel from the 1940's.

@paranoid marvin .... Give It Some Welly .... This is a poem that should help some young whelps to slam the exam.

@The Judge Is alternate history okay?
It's up to you, and the voters when they come to it.

For myself, when I come to vote, it will very much depend on the licence taken with the alternative history. A real time and period with a few tweaks, eg Henry VII's son Arthur surviving to be king, would be fine for me; a wholesale change which brought in something completely new, eg the Chinese Empire annexing all of Europe in the Middle Ages, for me wouldn't be within the spirit of this genre.

It's up to you, and the voters when they come to it.

For myself, when I come to vote, it will very much depend on the licence taken with the alternative history. A real time and period with a few tweaks, eg Henry VII's son Arthur surviving to be king, would be fine for me; a wholesale change which brought in something completely new, eg the Chinese Empire annexing all of Europe in the Middle Ages, for me wouldn't be within the spirit of this genre.
Fair. Thank you.

@Cat's Cradle .... To Be Reunited in Repurposed Gingham .... A story which made me think about what true love is really like and not the Hollywood version.

@Astro Pen .... Leather and Velvet .... A poem which nicely encapsulates the feelings and inclinations and how these direct our personal history.

@BAYLOR .... Helmet ,One Size Fit All .... A story which drills down to the human side of modern warfare and leaves a distinct taste in one's mouth.

I'm in, with information...

Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy,
And Smiley makes number five.
So, why are you smiling, Joker number six?
For number seven am I,
Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy.

I know nothing! Nothing!!!

Last edited:

Back