DISCUSSION THREAD -- August 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

@THX1138 .... The Life Behind the Smile .... This is a clever story which hints at so much more that no one knows for sure.

I'm in, with information...

Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy,
And Smiley makes number five.
So, why are you smiling, Joker number six?
For number seven am I,
Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy.

I know nothing! Nothing!!!
Are we talking 007 here? :)

@The Judge , are you excluding prehistory from the genre? Could I write a story about the invention of clothes by Neanderthals or Early Man, for instance? Or would a story about alien visitors who arrive during the Jurassic period and leave a hat behind qualify?
I'd like to know the answer to this question, too. Invention of fashion....?

I'd like to know the answer to this question, too. Invention of fashion....?

Hi @Qaraq1001, here is the answer...

No, I wouldn't exclude it, and both types of story sound fine to me!

And just to say I'm really happy with the stories so far, doing just what I'd hoped -- history with a twist! (Twistory??)

... and if you are thinking about alternate/alternative histories, here is her response to that:

It's up to you, and the voters when they come to it.

For myself, when I come to vote, it will very much depend on the licence taken with the alternative history. A real time and period with a few tweaks, eg Henry VII's son Arthur surviving to be king, would be fine for me; a wholesale change which brought in something completely new, eg the Chinese Empire annexing all of Europe in the Middle Ages, for me wouldn't be within the spirit of this genre.

Around here, The Judge - like Judge Dredd - is The Law!!

Last edited:
@chrispenycate .... Pockets make the Man .... Celtic haute couture: a perfect mélange of form and function, where blue is the new black.

@chrispenycate .... Pockets make the Man .... a story which makes me think about putting pockets in odd places. (But I might have completely missed the meaning of the last word of the story.)

@Christine Wheelwright .... The True Story of St Martin .... a story which makes us consider the value of the immediate outcome and the eternal one.

I didn't read this thread before I submitted - mine's just plain old historical fiction, and I didn't think to add in anything twisty!

Back