DISCUSSION THREAD -- August 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

I didn't read this thread before I submitted - mine's just plain old historical fiction, and I didn't think to add in anything twisty!
I don't think a twist is necessary, The Judge specifically states that plain old historical fiction is in the brief.

@Culhwch .... My Hand In Yours .... This is a story that gives me pause, it's a love story but of what sort?

@Provincial .... Boxer .... This is a story which emphasizes the truth that true power is not always what you expect.

@Baeta .... The Tallow Candle .... This is a story which puts me in mind of the "burning girl" of the Hunger Games where what you see is interesting and what you get might be more so.

@johnnyjet .... Fashion Trends at Yasgur's Farm .... This is a story that made me chuckle and wonder about higher intelligence.

@Qaraq1001 .... The Roman Hair Plucker .... This is a story which helps me to remember that the little guy will have his day.

Boxer

The mountain path had always been dangerous, haunted by wolves and evil spirits.

Now the wolves are gone. Eaten by starving rebels, who themselves haunt the mountains and wear the evil spirits within them.

Yet a mad, old woman might still get through.

I hobble, staff in hand, shoulders hunched, face filthy and vacant. When they stop me I pat my red neckerchief, my passport and lucky charm, and cackle:

"Kill! Kill! Kill!"
Sorry, figuring how to jump to the discussion forum for these. But I loved how my imagination was invited to fill in so much here.

EDIT: moved from the Challenge thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, figuring how to jump to the discussion forum for these.
I'm not sure if it's available for non-mods, but I can use the +Quote button on the post on the originating thread, then go into the thread I want to post in and the "Insert Quotes" tab is there on the bottom left next to the "Attach files" tab, so I hit that and the original post is copied in ready.

If you can't use the +Quote button like that, then copy and paste might be an alternative, or simply refer to the poster eg "@ Provincial re your entry I loved..."

I'm not sure if it's available for non-mods, but I can use the +Quote button on the post on the originating thread, then go into the thread I want to post in and the "Insert Quotes" tab is there on the bottom left next to the "Attach files" tab, so I hit that and the original post is copied in ready.

If you can't use the +Quote button like that, then copy and paste might be an alternative, or simply refer to the poster eg "@ Provincial re your entry I loved..."
It most certainly does work that way. I sometimes will have two browsers open to Chrons* and will +Quote from one to the other.

*No, I'm not addicted to this site. :rolleyes:

I have often wondered how that "+quote" thing works, thanks. :)

@BigJ .... Run it again! (or, the struggle against one man’s nature) .... A historical simulation runs up against the inevitability of fate - or something like it!

Back