DISCUSSION THREAD -- August 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

What?! You. Can. Do it! Put your thinking cap on and wear your cloak of Many Ideas, man!;)
Oh, put a sock in it! @Starbeast, just tighten your belt and buckle down. Strike down a wise man with your famous sword Seersucker, then clothe yourself in their seeriness, wear your new-found wisdom on your sleeve and let the good times roll-neck! Don't worry about the smalls, it will all come out in the wash!

I'm in. I got the idea for this one at dinner, with (as is usual) a first line popping into my head (though for once it didn't end up anywhere near the first line), and I wrote the whole thing quickly. However, pruning it down to 75 words has taken all evening. *hits head on lap top*

And this is where I find out that no one else has heard of John Dee, nor the relevance of US heiresses in Edwardian times. *glum*

@ The Judge
And this is where I find out that no one else has heard of John Dee, nor the relevance of US heiresses in Edwardian times.

Hey, when we did Tudorpunk he featured centrally in my entry, though I will admit I've never done anything with American heiresses.

@The Judge ..... Elizabethan Bequest, Edwardian Beneficiary .... This is a story which doesn't go off the rails but does go in a completely unexpected direction.

@Ursa major .... The Good Olde Days .... This is a story that puts the "Good olde days" in their rightful place.

@The Judge .... Elizabethan Bequest, Edwardian Beneficiary .... At least she can still sell the gloves if the first part of the spell reads, "First build a fusion furnace"

@Ursa major .... The Good Olde Days .... A horrific tale with a cruel ending which almost smacks of mercy.

I have three best stories: @BigJ, @The Judge, and @Ursa major, but since I can only pick one I have opted for @Ursa major's, because it was so realistic and thoroughly horrifying. There is a good reason why there has only been one King John in the UK, and that kind of behaviour describes it in a nutshell - or so I have read!

Last edited:
I have three best stories: @BigJ, @The Judge, and @Ursa major, but since I can only pick one I have opted for @Ursa major's, because it was so realistic and thoroughly horrifying. There is a good reason why there has only been one King John in the UK, and that kind of behaviour describes it in a nutshell - or so I have read!

Yes, there's a reason why there hasn't been a King John II or Richard IV.

Historical fiction is my favourite, so this month was a joy to write and to read other's entries.

It was a near run thing, with Ursa and mosaix both having excellent tales to tell. But Ursa gets it for a story which is just so darn creepy.

Shortlisted was AnRoinnUltra for having one of the funniest last lines that I've read in ages, and Culhwch for such a bitter sweet story.

Thanks as always to our ever constant and considerate reviewers Victoria, Provincial and Parson.

And I really missed reading an entry from StarBeast. Hope you're back in next month, dude.

Back