New George Smiley book?

Danny McG

The Federation needs you!
I saw somewhere that Nick Harkaway is continuing his dad's work by writing a George Smiley book set in the 1960s.
Does anyone know any info about this?

I've an update now, the book is called Karla's Choice. It'll be released on October 24th.

The blurb:-

Set in the missing decade between two iconic
instalments in the George Smiley saga, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Nick Harkaway's Karla's Choice is an extraordinary, thrilling return to the world of spy fiction's greatest writer, John le Carré.

It is spring in 1963 and George Smiley has left the Circus. With the wreckage of the West's spy war with the Soviets strewn across Europe, he has eyes only on a more peaceful life. And indeed, with his marriage more secure than ever, there is a rumour in Whitehall – unconfirmed and a little scandalous – that George Smiley might almost be happy.

But Control has other plans. A Russian agent has defected in the most unusual of circumstances, and the man he was sent to kill in London is nowhere to be found.
Smiley reluctantly agrees to one last simple task: interview Susanna, a Hungarian émigré and employee of the missing man, and sniff out a lead. But in his absence the shadows of Moscow have lengthened.

Smiley will soon find himself entangled in a perilous mystery that will define the battles to come, and strike at the heart of his greatest enemy…

Normally I'm wary and cynical about books like this, but I found that Le Carre's style changed a lot between novels, and also that some books were much better than others. So I think it could work, although I'm not sure how "necessary" it will be.

Speaking of Nick Harkaway, I am on Facebook messenger and this mysterious communication popped up from him today.
It confused me because I'm not friended with him on FB and neither do I follow him, I've never messaged the man, it's like he's randomly reached out to message me with his bewildering text.

Screenshot_20240903-124058.png

Facebook just sends me loads of pictures of ladies in bikinis, and I don’t know any of them either.