The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon: 01:02: Alouette

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
During the initial outbreak, Isabelle, a drug addict and thief, escapes from Paris with her boyfriend Quinn and her pregnant sister Lily; she ultimately abandons Quinn. Lily dies and gives birth as a walker to Laurent via emergency C-section. In the present, the group loses their mule and are captured by a group of children living in their old preschool with their dying teacher, Madame Dubois. Laurent makes friends with the children, who tell him the nuns are lying to him. Needing a horse, Daryl offers to get medicine for Dubois if one of the children, Lou, helps him raid a nearby castle owned by a man dubbed La Tarasque. Inside, Daryl confronts the man, revealed as an American from Texas named R.J. Gaines, and rescues a boy he has captured. Gaines falls into his own walker moat and is devoured, while the kids rescue Daryl. Meanwhile, Dubois has died, and Daryl encourages Lou to step up as their leader. Daryl's party leaves, but Laurent expresses frustration over secrets kept from him. Codron returns to the abbey where he finds Daryl's recorded message, a picture of Laurent and a map of the group's route to Paris.

Another good episode. My only criticism would be that Daryl isn't stupid and wouldn't leave behind that tape recorder and the map of their route for Codron to find. Now he has two different groups out to kill him. Will there be more yet?

So, we get a back story for Isabella. She was a thief before she became a Nun. And now we know why they think Laurent is the Messiah, he was born to a walker mother. We don't yet know his father, but I've been spoiled on that. Does he has some immunity? Since he has had a very protected childhood and hardly seems to have ever left the Convent, they may not know.

The walker set piece scenes in this are more believable than those in TWD and FTWD. While Daryl does fall into the walker moat, he does have gas cylinders to explode, and they are already occupied with eating Gaines. So, I can believe that he could escape with the use of the rope and the horse, unlike some other escapes previously.

Isabella is probably a lot more streetwise than she initially appeared but Sylvie was also brought up inside the Convent. I don't rate their chances of surviving highly. There do seem to be less walkers around, but then this is rural France and 10 years+ since the world ended. The plan is to head directly for Paris, which Daryl objected to and was over-ruled. I think Daryl would really have left them behind at the school. Laurent wanted to stay there and would be much safer there, as well as happy. Instead, he is taking them into who knows what. Daryl could have rode off and left them behind.

I'm watching one a week, not sure why as I could binge watch in one sitting. Also Dead City will be available later this month.
After watching The Ones Who Live, I thought this would be another one aimed at fans but not much substance to it.
I'm happy to say I was wrong. I do feel Daryl should have left the others at the school, it would have been a safer option. Not that anywhere is really safe, but we know unlike the majority of survivors he cares for others and has an inner goodness that compels him to help.
Daryl's escape from the moat was More believable than a lot we've seen.

The back story of Isabella was excellent. Very engaging. It shows really the initial terror and panic due to the walkers is so important to this kind of show, and really how it is so difficult to keep a good story going once you get many years beyond this.
The rest of the episode is decent. The explosion not really affecting Daryl but being remarkably targeted to the Walkers was a bit much, but there was some good action.

Back