Recommend a lesser-known sci-fi or fantasy book - Emmanuel Katto Uganda

emmanuelkattouganda

Hi everyone, I am Emmanuel Katto. We all have those hidden gems in our bookshelves – stories that have captivated us but often go unnoticed amid the sea of popular titles. It could be a debut novel, a self-published work, or simply a book that didn't receive the attention it deserved at release.

If you were to recommend a lesser-known sci-fi or fantasy book to a new reader, what would it be and why?
Share your recommendations!

Thanks!
Emmanuel Katto

The Kane the Mystic Swordsman Saga by Karl Edward Wagner
The Complete Tales of Jules De Grandin by Sebury Quinn
Nift the Lean by Michael Shea
The Dark World by Henry Kuttner
Black Gods Kiss by C L Moore
The MisEnchanted Sword by Lawrence watts Evan
Day of the Giants by Lester Del Rey
The Ship of Ishtar by Abraham Merritt
The Lost Continent by C J Cutcliff Hynd
Jurgen A Comedy of Justice by James Brand Cabell
Silverlock by John Myers Myers
Escardy Gap by Peter Crowther and James Lovegrove
Nightshade and Damnations by Gerald Kersh
Lest Darkness Fall by L Sprague De Camp
The Complete Enchanter by L Spague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt
The Reign of Wizardry by Jack Williamson
Darker than You Think by Jack Williamson
The Dreaming Jewels by Theodore Sturgeon
Book of the Three Dragons by Kenneth Morris
The High House by James Stoddard
The False House by James Stoddard
The Night Land A Story Retold by James Stoddard and William Hope Hodgeson
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
Wolf Winter by Thomas Burnett Swann
Mythago Woods by Robert Holdstock
Magus Rex by Jack Lovejoy
Empire of the East by Fred SaberHagen

Since I like making lists, here goes ...

Novels
The Land of Laughs & Voice of Our Shadow by Jonathan Carroll
The Red Tree & The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan
The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles Finney
Druid's Blood by Esther Friesner
The Innkeeper's Song & Tamsin by Peter Beagle
Fata Morgana by William Kotzwinkle

Story collections
Northwest Smith by C. L. Moore (presents as s.f., but don't buy that :) )
The Throne of Bones by Brian McNaughton
Zothique by Clark Ashton Smith
In the Palace of Repose by Holly Phillips
In the Forest of Forgetting by Theodora Goss
A Feast of Sorrows & The Path of Thorns by Angela Slatter
Dreadful Young Ladies & Other Stories by Kelly Barnhill
The Bone Key by Sarah Monette
The Man from the Diogenes Club by Kim Newman

[Hitmouse, change the name and you could copy and paste your last message as response to this one. :cool:)

Since I like making lists, here goes ...

Novels
The Land of Laughs & Voice of Our Shadow by Jonathan Carroll
The Red Tree & The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan
The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles Finney
Druid's Blood by Esther Friesner
The Innkeeper's Song & Tamsin by Peter Beagle
Fata Morgana by William Kotzwinkle

Story collections
Northwest Smith by C. L. Moore (presents as s.f., but don't buy that :) )
The Throne of Bones by Brian McNaughton
Zothique by Clark Ashton Smith
In the Palace of Repose by Holly Phillips
In the Forest of Forgetting by Theodora Goss
A Feast of Sorrows & The Path of Thorns by Angela Slatter
Dreadful Young Ladies & Other Stories by Kelly Barnhill
The Bone Key by Sarah Monette
The Man from the Diogenes Club by Kim Newman

[Hitmouse, change the name and you could copy and paste your last message as response to this one. :cool:)

I see more than few famous names on this list too. :D

I'm not sure whether any of these are considered famous, but they aren't mentioned as much as i think they deserve. Here is my recommendations;

The Subterrene War trilogy (Germline, Exogene and Chimera) by T. C. McCarthy. A trilogy of loosely related books about genetic soldiers in a war for rare minerals. It was a harsh and gritty read with flawed characters that found to be quite sympathetic by the end of each novel.

Germline.jpgExogene.jpgChimera.jpg

When the English Fall by David Williams. I read this book after reading Werthead's review. Its a story compassion and love for others after a natural disaster. Told from the point of view of Jakob, an Amish Farmer, it's a beautiful book and it wouldn't surprise me if this was taught in school at some point.

When the English Fall.png

Another beautiful story is by our very own Jo Zebedee. Into a Blood Red Sky is another wonderful story of compassion in a bleak, natural disaster, perhaps the end of the workd as we know it. I enjoyed this book a lot.

Into a Blood Red Sky.jpg

I see more than few famous names on this list too. :D
Yeah, but there's a spectrum of famous. Several names may be "famous" here, but not all that well known among a more general readership. Also, none of those titles were exactly NY Times bestsellers. And of the names like Peter Beagle who have a measure of fame, I don't think those are titles most readers would come up with immediately.

Some of my lesser known loves:

The Kingdoms of Elfin by Silvia Townsend Warner. A collection of interlinked stories. Beautifully written tales of the intrigues, mores, and manners of the fairy courts of Europe.

The Unholy City by Charles Finney. A Futurist debauch which reads like a fantasy version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but written a few decades before. (Finney's Circus of Dr Lao - as mentioned above - is pretty groovy too.)

The Exploits of Engelbrecht by Maurice Richardson : Being the adventures of Engelbrecht, the Surrealist boxer. His legendary fight with a long-case grandfather clock and his trip to the plant theatre where all the parts are played, very slowly, by vegetation. are just a couple of highlights.

A Woman in Space by Sara Cavaugh - a chef d'oeuvre of awfulness, a book so execrably written, and inanely plotted it becomes so masterfully 'other' it is bewildering. (You didn't specify they had to be good books!) Guaranteed to make any novel you read immediately afterwards seem like a masterpiece in comparison - with the possible exception of later volumes in John Norman's Gor series.

The 13.5 Lives of Captain Bluebear and
Rumo
Both by Walter Moers. Obscure outside Germany. Brilliant, detailed, funny picaresque adventures. Quite unlike anything else.

Hi everyone, I am Emmanuel Katto. We all have those hidden gems in our bookshelves – stories that have captivated us but often go unnoticed amid the sea of popular titles. It could be a debut novel, a self-published work, or simply a book that didn't receive the attention it deserved at release.

If you were to recommend a lesser-known sci-fi or fantasy book to a new reader, what would it be and why?
Share your recommendations!

Thanks!
Emmanuel Katto
"Daniel Swolden's 'Hyperion Cantos'. In this debut novel, the author tells a story set in a world where magical music plays a central role in society. I hope you enjoy it.

Many of the books I could recommend myself (e.g. Mythago Woods by Robert Holdstock) have already been mentioned here. So here's a look at some of the authors and books that aren't on the list.

Fantasy first, as lesser known authors and books in this genre have always been more likely to catch my attention than in science fiction.

So I'll start with Chosen of the Changeling by Gregory Keyes. This author has a degree in anthropology, so it's not surprising that this dylogy shows contact between several societies at once. Some of the characters belong to a society of primitive farmers, others to a nomadic society that looks like a cross between the Comanches and the Mongols, and a third society resembles a hydraulic civilisation of the kind that appeared in the major river basins of the world during the Bronze Age. And it's all very realistic. And there are also creatures that look like Neanderthals. But they're called Alves, which is almost like elves. Who else but an anthropology professor would think of Neanderthal elves?

For example, when one of the main characters, Perkar, arrives in the capital of the 'hydraulic' kingdom, the streets of the city seem like canyons to him, because he has seen a lot of mountains and canyons, but this is the first time he has been in a city.

And there's also a very interesting plot there. As I said, the Nhol Kingdom is very similar to a hydraulic civilisation, like ancient China or ancient Egypt. The main rivers - the Huang He or the Nile or some other river - were considered living beings and even gods in those ancient societies. So in this dylogy the river is really alive! But I won't go any further, as that would be a blatant spoiler.

This author also has book series called The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone. It's also very well written and well worth reading.

The next author is Cecilia Dart-Thornton. Her fantasy trilogy The Bitterbynde is very well written and her writing style is very unusual and slightly reminiscent of Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros. For example, she uses a lot of old words and things like that.

In general, in this trilogy, the author has managed to bring together almost all of European mythology, starting with the story of the Pied Piper of Hammel and ending with the beautiful legend of Midir and Etain, and yet tie all of these different stories together almost seamlessly. I think that's quite an achievement!

Other books by this author, including a short story set in the same world as The Bitterbynde, are also very well written.

I would also recommend the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling. The world building is excellent and the plots of most of the books are very interesting as they are more like crime stories or thrillers. They are always built around a mystery that the main characters are trying to solve. But her other book series, the Tamir Trilogy, is much worse, even though it takes place in the same world.

I would also recommend the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust.

As for standalone books, I would recommend Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees. It is very poetic and beautifully written.

For science fiction I would recommend DarkWar by Glen Cook. There are canine witches-bitches flying around in space on wooden ships. I haven't seen anything like that from any other author!