Who made the "other" rings.

farntfar

Venu d'un pays ou il ne pleut pas
Brian's question (here) about the Nazguls' speaking made me thing again about a question to which I had never found an answer.

Who actually made the 9 and the 7.

We know who made the 3 and also who made the 1, but it's never actually stated who made the others.
I had always assumed it was Celebrimbor, but what with the imminent emission of the second series of The Ring of Power, I wanted to know what you guys thought, before we get the Netflix answer that everyone will happily accept as canon in a few weeks.

I had made the assumption that all the other rings were made before Sauron made the One to control them, and that they were all essentially "good " to start with. The seven are said to have helped create the 7 kingdoms, although there were the 7 dwarf lords from Aulë's creation of them.
But if the 9 were originally good, why was one of them given to the Witch King of Angmar, who sounds pretty evil even before he got the ring. Or did he only add Witch to his title after getting corrupted by Sauron. Was he the Wise old King of Angmar before that, which is pretty much the way I saw it.

Anyway, I suspect the the Netflix version will have Sauron make them all in episode 1 of series 2, as Celebrimbor and Elrond are already aware of Sauron's plans to corrupt the rings.

Let me know what you think. Hopefully before Netflix corrupts us all.

The Elves made the Rings of Power (apart from the One), as it says in the appendices to LOTR, the Tale of Years (c 1500 Second Age).

Was he the Wise old King of Angmar before that, which is pretty much the way I saw it.
He didn't have anything to do with Angmar before that. In the appendices again, c1300 Third Age, it says "the chief of these [the Nazgul] comes north to Angmar", which is before the Witch King is mentioned by name. Note that this is over 2,000 years after the Nazgul first appear in the Second Age, which is itself 650 years after the One Ring is forged. They took their time in those days.

farntfar said:
Hopefully before Netflix corrupts us all.

I see that Netflix have released an artists impression of their new corporate HQ...

1723550134166.jpeg

I missed this originally. It isn't on Netflix, but Amazon Prime.
Yes. Sorry.

You have all shown how little I have remembered the appendices etc. But my original question remains. Who made the rings for the dwarves and for men.

I know the APV series has created this whole "Mithril rings are saving the Elves' immortality etc" but then why did they make the rings for the other races, or was that only Sauron?

And another thing. Why do I spell Elves with a capital E, and dwarves and men without capitals?

But my original question remains. Who made the rings for the dwarves and for men.
I might be misunderstanding your question, but didn't I answer it above? The Elves made ALL the Rings of Power apart from Sauron's One Ring. This includes the Seven and the Nine (plus the "lesser rings" Gandalf refers to in I think Fellowship ch2, and which I don't think are ever mentioned elsewhere). If you're after the names of individual Elves, I'm pretty sure Tolkien didn't reveal any on the ring-making team apart from Celebrimbor.

As to why they made those for Dwarves and Men, good question. Pyan will answer it.

Was he King of the witches, or was he a king who was also a witch? Maybe there were originally two kings of Angmar, and people confused a question for a title.

"Excuse me sir, could you please direct me to the King of Angmar?"

"Which King of Angmar?"

"Is he really?"

Brian's question (here) about the Nazguls' speaking made me thing again about a question to which I had never found an answer.

Who actually made the 9 and the 7.

We know who made the 3 and also who made the 1, but it's never actually stated who made the others.
I had always assumed it was Celebrimbor, but what with the imminent emission of the second series of The Ring of Power, I wanted to know what you guys thought, before we get the Netflix answer that everyone will happily accept as canon in a few weeks.

I had made the assumption that all the other rings were made before Sauron made the One to control them, and that they were all essentially "good " to start with. The seven are said to have helped create the 7 kingdoms, although there were the 7 dwarf lords from Aulë's creation of them.
But if the 9 were originally good, why was one of them given to the Witch King of Angmar, who sounds pretty evil even before he got the ring. Or did he only add Witch to his title after getting corrupted by Sauron. Was he the Wise old King of Angmar before that, which is pretty much the way I saw it.

Anyway, I suspect the the Netflix version will have Sauron make them all in episode 1 of series 2, as Celebrimbor and Elrond are already aware of Sauron's plans to corrupt the rings.

Let me know what you think. Hopefully before Netflix corrupts us all.

Tiffany's ? ;)

My opinion is that Celebrimbor (son of Curufin, grandson of Feanor, great grandson of Finwe) was the inheritor of the Ring knowledge and the metal working skills of the Noldor. (Maybe his name was inherited as well.) I think he fronted a group (school) of metal working. I think they mostly made rings of +1 tulip planting, +1 manure spreading, or +1 weeding for elven gardens.

@Pyan Hey, I'm serious! Rings of beekeeping, pollination, and ent friendship are what I imagine. Maybe they manufactured rings for orc or dwarf detection. But I do not believe they actually put their souls, mana, or life essence into their rings. I think their rings could asbsorb the reflected glory of creation (sort of like Feanor's silmarills with the light of the trees) and then use that to enhance the object.

So Frodo could have used the Ring to make the Nazgul buzz off?
Yes, if he had sufficient strength of will and probably some practice time. I think this is implied several times throughout the book, sometimes in reference to what other people would do if they got hold of the ring, but the principle is the same.