Steampunk -- recommendations, please

2leftfeet

Hello, new poster here, I've been getting in to the steampunk culture recently love the outfits and imagination behind it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book to read out of these ones perhaps? Which one would you go with first if you've read any?

Hello, new poster here, I've been getting in to the steampunk culture recently love the outfits and imagination behind it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book to read out of these ones perhaps? Which one would you go with first if you've read any?
Pullman, Mieville, Wells, Verne. Probably in that order.
The Gibson/ Sterling is quite good.

Hello 2leftfeet, and Welcome to the Chrons!

Just to let you know I've moved your post asking for recommendations into a new thread of its own, so it doesn't get buried and missed! With luck you'll get more comments, suggestions (and welcomes!) this way.

Morlock. Night by K W Jeter
The Martian War by Kevin J Anderson

by Felix Palma.
1. Map of Time
2. Map of the Sky
3. Map of Chaos

The Ketty Jay books by Chris Wooding pretty much qualify, albeit they take place in a magical alternate world. The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling is quite a good steampunk story, set in an alternate version of the Raj.

Oh, I'd really recommend Homunculus by James P Blaylock, which is excellent.

Last edited:
I second the Peshawar Lancers but Sm Stirling , Excellent ! :cool:

The Arabella Ashby Trilogy trilogy by David Levine
1. Arabella of Mars
2, Arabella and the Battle of Venus
3. Arabella The Traitor of Mars

Two steampunk type films you might want the check out

1. Steamboy 2005
2.War of the Worlds Goliath 2013 This s steampunk sequel film to H G Wells book. Set a few years after Earth has recovered from the Martian War . Nikola Tesla and others reverse engineered Martian Technology. The forces of the world now have walker battle machines with Heat Rays . , Giant Air Battle ship and fleets of advances airplanes with heat Rays . In this film the Martians have come back with bigger more powerful waker battle machines and no longer susceptible to earth diseases.

Last edited:
From that list you link to, I would recommend Boneshaker, Infernal Devices, and Alchemy of Stone, particularly that last one.