Public school history

>I still haven't found any use for it
Oh goody, I get to use my line. I used this for years as part of my opening Western Civ lecture.

What is the use of history?
It has none, and that is one of its chief virtues.
History doesn't have use, it has _value_.
Literature doesn't have use. Rock and roll doesn't have use. Theater doesn't have use. But they all have value, are valuable, and are valued.
A hammer has use.
History has value.

>Completely true, but how does one ever change that from becoming a never-ending cycle?
We don't. I made a (rather loud) point of teaching my students that the medieval popes were not all-powerful, and nor were kings. The students dutifully took notes. And when I got their essays, they inevitably states that the Church told people what to think and then killed them if they disagreed.

This bothered me for quite a long time.

Eventually I figured this: people don't need historians. For most of the time humans have walked this planet they've not had historians. They just made up stuff. Legends.

Legends supported and illustrated the things people *want* to believe about the world. That's powerful. Legends shape an entire narrative. Legends are easily re-cast in various formats.

History, otoh, is an academic discipline. It requires a certain rigor of thought. Not much of one, mind you, just enough to ask for multiple sources, an eye for critical thinking, and an ability to communicate clearly so that the discussion can continue. Turns out, these abilities are rare. So whatever history has to teach for the most part bounces off, especially where it contradicts established legend, but also where legend provides no pre-existing context, so the historical information falls alone in an empty land.

It turns out, history is *not* for everyone, any more than calculus is. It's a specialty. The old saw, that those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it, is not much more than rust. And that's okay. 'Twas ever thus. If we do not learn the consequences of Henry IV at Canossa, does that mean we're condemned to kneel in the snow?

I for one don't care for history shaming. I only care when someone claims to know their history when they plainly do not, and wish to inflict their misunderstandings on others. Looking at you, Braveheart. <grin>

>Learning historical dates is incredibly boring
Yes it is. It's about as sensible as learning logarithm tables. Just look it up.

But let me make one pitch for dates. They are incredibly convenient for remembering things in order. For a moment, consider doing without. Then we're back to "in the fourth year of the reign of King Louis VI" or in the consulship of Crassus and Pompey, or working off eponymous archons. And don't even get me started on indictions. Heck, one of my grad school advisors (Dean Ware) has a whole chapter on medieval chronology methods in Powell's invaluable Medieval Studies. Read just that chapter and you'll be eternally grateful for the simplicity of numerical dates.

Back