Getting into Farscape

I've watched the whole thing through several times. Good, not as great as Babylon 5 or Star Trek Discovery. More at the Stargate Atlantis level.

I found Farscape to be a lot more fun than most other similar SF shows. The characters are a little wilder and funnier, without being full on comedy.

Starts slow as it tries to find its feet with most of the best episodes in season 1 at the end. Seasons 2 and 3 very strong. Season 4 drops the standard a bit, I think they tried to make it more accessible to new viewers by slowly reintroducing all the characters but the show suffered as a result.

Much better than Star Trek Discovery.;)

I found it to be quite excellent and very unique. I was put off initially by it's "Muppets in space" look and didn't get into it initally. It was funny, exciting and heartbreaking in equal measure and like Babylon 5, it had something for both male and female fans.

Scorpius was a very memorable bad guy, who proved to be correct, despite his methods. He is one of my favourites.

I might rewatch it myself.

Eccentric , off beat with very bizarre but interesting characters both lovable and dastardly and, some pretty off the wall storylines. It was a show I couldn't help but watch and enjoy. Overall , It was an excellent series , well written, well acted , with superb production values, sets and special effects . :cool:

Last edited:
Of all SciFi series out there, I still rate Farscape as the best and most entertaining of all. It takes most of season 1 to gather steam, but once it does the wild ride that follows is binge worthy. It is the only series I have watched multiple times.
Trust your parents. ;)

I found it to be quite excellent and very unique. I was put off initially by it's "Muppets in space" look and didn't get into it initally. It was funny, exciting and heartbreaking in equal measure and like Babylon 5, it had something for both male and female fans.

One of the things the Henson Muppet team bought to the show was a real attempt to break away from the wrinkly forehead appliance of the week aliens, a la Star Trek. They used stilt walkers and circus trained performers to mess with body shape, like they had with Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal and made some very alien looking aliens. I still find it hard to believe watching it now that Pilot is a puppet.

...and Claudia Black is sex on legs.

Claudia Black is a very, very convincing soldier and all round arse kicker. Also her look of exasperation is wonderful.

Thanks for the responses. My parents were watching a Farscape marathon last night and I was wondering if I should get into it. I'm glad you enjoy it, though as others have said, it's very slow at the beginning. ;-)

One of the things the Henson Muppet team bought to the show was a real attempt to break away from the wrinkly forehead appliance of the week aliens, a la Star Trek. They used stilt walkers and circus trained performers to mess with body shape, like they had with Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal and made some very alien looking aliens. I still find it hard to believe watching it now that Pilot is a puppet.

...and Claudia Black is sex on legs.
It's amazing how much effort they put into it. B-)

Thanks for the responses. My parents were watching a Farscape marathon last night and I was wondering if I should get into it. I'm glad you enjoy it, though as others have said, it's very slow at the beginning. ;-)
It really starts getting interesting from episode 15 ('Durka Returns') onwards. That's also one of the stronger episodes and a fine example how complex and deep Farscape can be. It hits on moral issues without being moralistic. (see my review on this episode.) It also introduced the final character to complement the crew.
The over-arching story-line that connects most (not all ) the episodes starts with episode 16 (A Human Reaction).