The Rings of Power Season 2 starts this week

I'm not a massive fan of Tolkien - not that I think he's bad, just that he hasn't had the near-religious effect on me that he had for a lot of people. But, like Harebrain, there's nothing that makes me think I'd like to watch this, just as there's nothing that makes me want to watch the Hobbit films. It sounds like fanfic.
Isn't everything fanfic of some sort of another.

On the finale. I thought it was excellent. With the understanding that the timescales are reduced, I thought they left season on the right note. Everything is in place for S3 and moving forward towards the key events in Numenor, founding of Rivendell etc. Genuinely cannot wait for the next installment.

Maybe not. He was prepared to sell movie rights on the basis of "either quality or cash" (to paraphrase). Given how much money has been acquired by his grandchildren in this deal, he might have been very happy. (Having said that, he might not have approved of them becoming quite so rich.)

There may be season 3 .

If there is a third season, I hope they get new showrunners and writers. If that were the case (and if I should live so long) I might be encouraged to give it another chance. If Payne and McKay are still in charge, I doubt that will happen; I have absolutely no faith in their ability to craft a captivating story.