Yesterday and the day before was a great day for nature spotting

Montero

Supporter
For a few weeks, I've been enjoying watching bumble bees on our brambles, our saved for insects thistle patch and on the purple geranium, looks to be three sorts (must get them identified).
Monday was spider day - we have lots of different sorts of webs on our gorse bushes, keep meaning to identify. On Monday, walking on a path through long grass - as in regularly trodden on long grass - there were spiders running away to hide in the longer grass half a dozen or more at a time. Mostly tiny black ones, plus a slightly larger one with black legs and a tiny droplet of a body in cream or yellow.

Been rather short on butterflies, mainly seeing small white, speckled woodland and red admiral. But yesterday I saw a peacock being really beautiful on the thistles.
Then I was out in the dusk and a large white bird flew up low about fifty feet away and landed on a plank railing and looked at me - a barn owl. Tried getting a photo but light conditions too low. The owl sat there for a good thirty seconds watching me calmly, then I looked up from the camera settings and it was gone. I see one a couple of times a year at most, and that is the closest ever and not seen them perched before, just flying over, all busy.
I carried on to our outbuilding in the field and stuck my nose in - and there were lots of swallows roosting so the two pairs that had nests have been successful in raising most of their chicks (I found the remains of at least one swallow on the ground during daylight earlier that day, could be two, lots of wing feathers and other bits so was a bit concerned). Some of the swallows took off and were flying round in the roof in the dusk so I backed out fast to kneel in the doorway, and provided some very low level lighting with the phone light half hidden and they all found their ways back to a safe roost. (Need to set up a wildlife camera in there before the season starts next year, so they get used to it.) One year one pair built their nest by a regularly used door in a shed near the house and threatened us every time we used the door. We know they had four chicks that fledged - we saw them multiple times a day from about three feet away.
Then as I was walking back along the semi-path in the long grass, using a torch for better footing, a young frog leapt out of my way and went to hide in the long wet grass. A few years back, in a wet summer, there were frogs everywhere; first one I've seen this year, but it's been overcast and dry a lot of the time.

We're more midurban than suburban but we get squirrels (grey and black) and deer around regularly. Not the lawn maintenance fanatics others are, we look like a hippie house! It's nice on a sunny day to catch a scene of squirrels, deer, and a butterfly or rabbit interacting which I have. Lots of tiny swivel-headed birds as well. No idea where this one rabbit came from or if it's still around or simply relocated but haven't seen it this year (not a harsh winter last so maybe still up and hopping). Used to be tiny bats around sometimes too.

I love the sound of chirping frogs at dusk!

I've never heard chirping frogs, except years ago at a place with hot thermal springs - and they did their nuts all night.
Well done you, lawns are beautiful - in moderation and when someone else does the work :D I love walking barefoot on a very well maintained, velvety lawn - as an occasional treat. But for every day, hay meadow all the way. (I was raised by a lawn fanatic who levelled the land, rolled, seeded, and devotedly maintained the lawn he grew from scratch, then for years there was hand weeding and edge trimming - and critique of other people's inferior lawns. I was expected to help with edging and weeding. Hhm. Gardening for food, yup, but lawns.....)

Today I had a real spider time - I was stepping off the path to avoid webs they'd woven since yesterday. Managed to get one or two photos I think.
Saw my first painted lady butterfly of the year, on our thistle patch. Swallows have been out and busy feeding at speed, also seen clusters of midges hovering, so I think the swallows are not going short.

Did see white wings in the dusk - but it was a seagull. :)

Same here @Montero! August is when everything gets completely overgrown and the garden eats the path. And you best remember to wave your hand in front when you walk the breezeway at night or you will have a spiderweb mask. Mantids, grasshoppers, spiders, and *huge* caterpillars all around. And dog-day cicadas bumbling into everything and singing all evening.

Saw my first painted lady butterfly of the year,
Same here too. (Colorado). Were we live we are in their autumn migratory path.
Seeing a few Bush Tits and Red Breasted Nuthatches now and most, if not all, of the Egrets are gone and soon the hummingbirds will too.
Many of the flowers that feed the migratory butterflies are blooming, and the yellowjackets are getting testy.

Our big wildlife treat for the last month, here in the Wretched Peaceable Kingdom, has been daily visits from Little Orphan Bunny.

Usually, the Brush Bunnies ( I guess they're a sort of cottontail) live out on the fringes of the clearing. this one lives right next to the patio and spends every afternoon scrounging under the bird feeder and nibbling the hollyhock and sunflower leaves.. She is about half size, ultra cute and quite unconcerned with our presence.

bunny 58.jpg

We have some tall cedars at the back of the property and mid-morning today I watched five raccoons slowly climb down them after someone's dog had chased them up them... I am putting a dog barking where we don't have a dog and furry blobs perched up high in branches when I came out to assume this. I really should've grabbed a camera, especially to show the highest climber with his tail hanging down! They all got down safely and marched off in a line. I think some nearby construction must be why they are visible in the daytime.