Audiobook narrator question

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Are there any audiobook narrators out there with a voice with gravitas that could possibly be counted among those like that of David Attenborough and Patrick Stewart?

Just curious if anyone has come across anyone like that. :)

Frank Muller was wonderful.
George Guidall - who has narrated over 1,200 audiobooks, evidently, and who replaced Muller on King's The Dark Tower books after Muller's passing - is brilliant, IMO. Probably my go-to narrator (if I see him listed on an interesting-sounding audiobook, I will consider getting the book). He has a voice full of character.

Guidall is from the U.S., though... not sure if you're looking for a Brit? If so, I think John Lee - who has narrated a bunch of Alastair Reynolds novels - is excellent. He also does straight history books... I have a few by him and he seems quite good at these, too. He has a great voice, like a classically trained actor.

Just a few off the top of my head, CC

edit to add: Sophie Aldred - who narrated the books of Tchaikovsky's The Final Architecture series - is terrific. Gravitas galore, IMO, and does wonderfully diverse character readings.

Last edited:
Frank Muller was wonderful.
George Guidall - who has narrated over 1,200 audiobooks, evidently, and who replaced Muller on King's The Dark Tower books after Muller's passing - is brilliant, IMO. Probably my go-to narrator (if I see him listed on an interesting-sounding audiobook, I will consider getting the book). He has a voice full of character.

Guidall is from the U.S., though... not sure if you're looking for a Brit? If so, I think John Lee - who has narrated a bunch of Alastair Reynolds novels - is excellent. He also does straight history books... I have a few by him and he seems quite good at these, too. He has a great voice, like a classically trained actor.

Just a few off the top of my head, CC

edit to add: Sophie Aldred - who narrated the books of Tchaikovsky's The Final Architecture series - is terrific. Gravitas galore, IMO, and does wonderfully diverse character readings.
I seem to recall - from an old Chronscast reading of a winning entry - that you yourself have a fine narrating voice!

Yes, I am noted for my voice. ;)

Though - as with that winning entry - I refuse to do narration that does not include singing!! But thank you, CW - that made my day. :)

Many thanks for the comments so far. :)

I'm curious, do American listeners prefer to hear a narrator with a US accent, rather than say a British one?

Not exactly "gravitas" but Simon Vance and Scott Brick are both superb readers. Jeremy Irons and Ian McKellan supply plenty of gravitas but neither has a very long audiobook list. Nicolas Guy Smith fits the bill, I believe. He did a remarkable read of A Gentleman in Moscow. Simon Winchester reads only his own books, but there are more than 20 and I've listened with pleasure to every one.

I'm curious, do American listeners prefer to hear a narrator with a US accent, rather than say a British one?

In my case, not at all; it depends on the story (and in part, the setting). Using my above examples, as much as I admire his reading, I wouldn't think it perfect if John Lee narrated, say, Beach Music, by Pat Conroy.

And I wouldn't expect to hear Mr. Guidall reading a Bond novel (though I've never listened to one; they'd have to have a British narrator, right?).

edit to add - there are many books where I wouldn't care what the nationality of the reader was.

Last edited:
For people who have passed away then Richard Burton, Christopher Lee, Michael Hordern. Most RSC actors would do a good job.

Christopher Lee was great at Poe--especially Hop Frog, the Murders in the Rue Morgue, and the Masque of the Red Death.
However I prefer Basil Rathbone's version of the Raven to the others I have heard. Vincent Price's The Imp of the Perverse is also memorable.

I can listen to Vincent Price or Orson Welles recite the phone book--but I would say a UK accent gives a book more impact.

You know what I don't like--when the narrator tries to do voice impressions--sometimes it is ok--but other times I can't stand it. Especially when someone with a deep voice tries to do a woman's voice.
It sounds so horrible and distracting.

Christopher Lee's reading of Frankenstein is not so good because his creature sounds like John Gielgud having a perpetual stroke.

Roddy McDowall's reading of the 1989 Batman is a fabulous experience. I would never read that but he makes it so energetic.
I don't like audio books overall because I don't think it is as personal as reading it yourself unless it is a short story.

Stephen King does a good job narrating his own books.
I listened to one--and he has a good voice for it.

Christopher Lee was great at Poe--especially Hop Frog, the Murders in the Rue Morgue, and the Masque of the Red Death.
However I prefer Basil Rathbone's version of the Raven to the others I have heard. Vincent Price's The Imp of the Perverse is also memorable.

I can listen to Vincent Price or Orson Welles recite the phone book--but I would say a UK accent gives a book more impact.

You know what I don't like--when the narrator tries to do voice impressions--sometimes it is ok--but other times I can't stand it. Especially when someone with a deep voice tries to do a woman's voice.
It sounds so horrible and distracting.

Christopher Lee's reading of Frankenstein is not so good because his creature sounds like John Gielgud having a perpetual stroke.

Roddy McDowall's reading of the 1989 Batman is a fabulous experience. I would never read that but he makes it so energetic.
I don't like audio books overall because I don't think it is as personal as reading it yourself unless it is a short story.

Stephen King does a good job narrating his own books.
I listened to one--and he has a good voice for it.

Some good points, but (having now listened to a number) audiobooks narrated by the author are (for me at least) the best way to 'read' a book - especially when it comes to autobiographies and 'factual' books.

Sir Patrick Stewart and Ade Edmondson were delightful to hear recite their lives, and David Mitchell's Unruly and Danny Robons' Uncanny expressed all the intonations and verbal raised eyebrows that the written word can't.

I need to check our Dowell's 'Batman', so thanks for the heads up. Roddy had a wonderrful voice.

Sir Patrick Stewart and Ade Edmondson were delightful to hear recite their lives, and David Mitchell's Unruly and Danny Robons' Uncanny expressed all the intonations and verbal raised eyebrows that the written word can't.

I need to check our Dowell's 'Batman', so thanks for the heads up. Roddy had a wonderrful voice.
Of course--if it is personal to them--they give it a special meaning.
I have heard his Lovecraft readings--they are good too.

Christopher Lee read the Exorcist I think--although some have claimed it is an impersonator---it sure sounds like him and it was before DeepFakes.

I would listen to either, but I do love a British accent so would prefer that. Besides, I listen to Americans all the time. ;)

Lately I've only listened to memoirs as audiobooks, not fiction. And for those I would prefer it be narrated by the author.

I care less about the accent than the reader's overall presentation. There are readers who could suck the life out of a light saber dual, and readers that can make the author's shopping list compelling. Give me the latter every time!