Theory: Dumbledore's Hand

Boaz

Happy Easter!
When Dumbeldore first appears in the sixth book, he has suffered a horrible curse from putting on the ring he found in the Gaunt house. We are led to think this ring was cursed by Voldemort. This is incorrect, the ring was cursed by Salazar Slytherin.

Dumbledore explained the curse upon him by saying that he's old and slow... or that in his rush of joy, he forgot himself.

How could Dumbledore have put on the ring when he knew it was an horcrux? He’s the only person outside of the death eaters who knew about Voldemort’s horcruxes…. With his experience and life purpose to defeat dark wizards, there is no possible way Dumbledore forgot the time, place, and circumstances. Dumbledore told Harry that he could figure out Voldemort’s schemes and spells because he knew Riddle’s style. We know he fully accepted responsibility for his sister’s death… and longed to see her and apologize, but I don’t feel this would have overridden his actions in the moment.

Dumbledore counted on Riddle’s spell on the ring. He would’ve detected it. He would have countered it.

I think at that after countering Voldemort’s curse, Dumbledore would have thought the ring safe. The Gaunt heirloom containing the Resurrection Stone came to Marvolo from the Peverells and probably Slytherin too. I think there was an inherent condition on the ring so that only the heir of Slytherin could wear it. I think that Dumbledore never expected this. He did not know Slytherin’s style. I think that neither the Gaunts nor Riddle even suspected this curse.

Dumbledore did not need to worry Harry about this because Harry, with Voldemort’s soul inside him and as a descendent of the Peverells, was immune to curses of this nature when dealing with Slytherin’s locket.