DISCUSSION THREAD -- September 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
September's thread is now open, with theme courtesy of mosaix and his extensive library, and my rather more limited choice of genre!

Theme: Wild
Genre: Science Fiction or Fantasy

I was disappointed that my theme and genre for August didn't inspire either Starbeast or Phyrebrat, so I hope to see both of them back this month.

Meanwhile, use "Wild" in whatever sense you want, and for the genre feel free to add "horror" to the SFF elements!

Ha! For about the first time I've checked in before anyone wrote a story. Now, if I can just go wild, about being the wild, about the Wild Wild West, I might have a horror of Science Fiction/Fantasy on my hands.

Hi all, and Your Judgeliness.

Not asking for a pity party or anything but things have been really unpleasant in the Phyrebrat gothic mansion. I’m still reeling from my treatment by the RAD a year later and fighting going back into a depression. I’d decided to give up on the legal angle re my contract and the treatment they gave me because I’m broke and can’t afford it (obvs) but also because I was in a constant state of resentment and if I’m honest, an almost debilitating hate.

My dad had a serious accident, my sister’s ‘death day’ (as she irreverently terms it) is this November, but her bloodwork etc is good. So my dad booked us a holiday to St Lucia in October. And I’m seeing Janet Jackson with my sister on 28 Sept (she’s now just spending money on things she wanted to do and never has hence our Madonna and Janet tour thing).

But I’m still waiting for my diagnosis and walked out the jobcentre 2 months ago after starting a claim and having a 22 year old with no life experience try to tell me I need a change of career at 52, and that I must earn £1.2k a month to qualify for support and that my business of 15 years is not ‘viable’. This despite us being visited by Sadiq Khan due to our work with Tottenham young people and a feature on the news.

Despite this I do feel ‘this to shall pass’ but I’m getting a bit miffed (he said, like a true Englishman).

However I’m reading Moby Dick which is phenomenally good. But dense. But great.

I was so happy to see the theme for last month’s 75 and was thinking of blowing you all out the water with my tale of <redacted> but I had no inspiration at all (!) which is mwuuad! (As my kids say) but was thinking of the Reformation as my era.

And now I’m here I see I forgot the 300 vote! I’m so sorry to have not voted. I’ll have to read em and see who’s have got my three votes.

@Swank .... Anne of Queensland, in brief; year eight .... A story which brings us insights independentantly. passionately, and creatively.

@THX1138 .... Life on Sagan 2 .... A story about knowing your limits and making good choices.

@Victoria Silverwolf .... Into the Wilderness .... A vibrant trek to the wildernesses of the future.

@AnRoinnUltra .... One Software Application to rule them all .... Another government initiative which is going to have a very brief existence.

@Swank .... Anne of Queensland, in brief; year eight. .... A year in the life of a wild Australian goddess.

@THX1138 .... Life on Sagan 2 .... There are two kinds of experienced observers: old ones, and bold ones.

@Guttersnipe .... A Bit Wild at Heart .... Gotcha!

@chrispenycate .... Wilding - les fleurs sauvages .... Un-expected niche-filling evolutionary developments pose pollination problems for an un-mellow space meadow.

@chrispenycate .... Wilding - les fleurs sauvages .... This is a story which makes me think of a song: "Let me tell you about the birds and bees and flowers and the trees."

@Yozh .... Life in Plastic .... I always knew our waste products would turn on us one day and wreak their terrible revenge!

@Yozh .... Life in Plastic .... This is a story that your first reaction is to smile and your second is to consider whether this might be a horror story.

@Luiglin .... In the mood .... A story that reminds us that anything can become boring if it goes on too long.

Well, there's something! I had family visiting and finally had a chance to think about the prompts. Sometimes I want to just say, 'Ahem, here is the part of the story that hits the theme', when I fear it may not be obvious. This may be one of those times, but I hope it comes across.
I also hope we get a bunch more stories soon! Plenty of time to write and enter. Good luck to those still thinking, and many thanks to the reviewers for their fine work, CC

Back