Fallout 76 question

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
When you buy the Fallout 76 disc, do you also need an online gaming account/subscription to play it? Or can you simply play it offline like Fallout 4?

EDIT: YES, you do need a subscription for PlayStation or Xbox.

Last edited:
Good question. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was "Looks good, but do randos on the internet have to be involved?"

Well, I've got my wife the disc for her birthday, and as it's for PS4 I presume she can just play online for free after the disc purchase. But I'm really not sure. :(

Anyone here play Fallout 76 on a PlayStation? If so, is all you need a disc + PS account?

EDIT: Just noticed a search on Bing gives an AI answer suggesting it's just disc + Bethesda account required:

Playing Fallout 76 on your PS4 can be a lot of fun! Here are some steps to get you started:

1. Install the Game: Insert the Fallout 76 disc into your PS4 or download it from the PlayStation Store.
  2. Create/Log into Your Bethesda Account: You’ll need a Bethesda account to play. You can create one in-game or on the Bethesda website.
  3. Start the Game: Launch Fallout 76 from your PS4 home screen.
  4. Character Creation: You’ll begin in Vault 76 where you can customize your character’s appearance.
  5. Learn the Basics: Follow the initial quests to learn how to use your Pip-Boy, manage your inventory, and understand the game’s mechanics.
  6. Explore and Survive: Once you exit the vault, you’ll be in the open world. Complete quests, gather resources, build your C.A.M.P., and interact with other players.
For a more detailed guide, you might find this beginner’s guide video helpful1. It covers everything from using the Pip-Boy to building your C.A.M.P.

Enjoy your adventure in the wasteland! If you have any specific questions or need further tips, feel free to ask.

1: Fallout 76: Beginner’s Guide - YouTube.
EDIT 2: Strangely, the video linked to is a gameplay guide, not a setup one - so no use there.

I haven't played the game, but I'm pretty sure it's an MMO - i.e. the game requires online servers to actually play, as it was designed to have lots of people in the same instance at the same time. I think once you've set it up with all your details you can probably play it as if it's single player. You know, just ignore everyone and do the 'dungeons' yourself (although, I presume like other MMO's some dungeons probably require more than one player to really succeed.)

I see your wife is really into Bethesda games, Bryan. (From other posts!) I'm a big Fanboi too, ever since Oblivion, so can understand :LOL:

Oh, well - it does turn out that you need an online subscription to PlayStation Plus of Xbox to play Fallout 76 on a console. So there's a present for my wife going back. :(

It's not a new game per se, but a mod, (and it's free, I believe, although you can donate) but if you've got Fallout 4, Fallout London has been getting loads of good reviews. It's pretty big and all the voice actors speak British!

EDIT oh it might depend if you are running on a PC or not - Fallout London doesn't run on Playstation or Xbox.

Last edited: