Problems With Second Monitor

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
I use a laptop with a second monitor. About a week ago when I turned it on it started displaying (albeit dimly) for about a second and then going blank.

At the behest of microsoft 'support' I have:

1) Rebooted my computer! (what a surprise! :ROFLMAO:)
2) Turned the monitor off and on again! (ditto! :ROFLMAO:)
3) Replaced the data cable
4) Replaced the power cable
5) Changed the refresh rate
6) Updated the driver (already using the latest)
7) Deleted and reinstalled the driver

Strangely, Device Manager says it can't detect another display but then allows you to select it (and knows the model) to change the refresh rate. :confused:

If the thing was totally blank all the time then I'd suspect that it was faulty and probably scrap it but the fact that it displays something for a second or two suggests that it maybe a fixable problem. Also, other people are reporting similar problems but none of their solutions (refresh rate etc.) work for me.

Anyone any ideas?

I use a laptop with a second monitor. About a week ago when I turned it on it started displaying (albeit dimly) for about a second and then going blank.

At the behest of microsoft 'support' I have:

1) Rebooted my computer! (what a surprise! :ROFLMAO:)
2) Turned the monitor off and on again! (ditto! :ROFLMAO:)
3) Replaced the data cable
4) Replaced the power cable
5) Changed the refresh rate
6) Updated the driver (already using the latest)
7) Deleted and reinstalled the driver

Strangely, Device Manager says it can't detect another display but then allows you to select it (and knows the model) to change the refresh rate. :confused:

If the thing was totally blank all the time then I'd suspect that it was faulty and probably scrap it but the fact that it displays something for a second or two suggests that it maybe a fixable problem. Also, other people are reporting similar problems but none of their solutions (refresh rate etc.) work for me.

Anyone any ideas?
Do you have access to another computer with which you might try the monitor? Which operating system are you using and what is make and model of the laptop?
When connected to power but NOT connected to laptop, what does the monitor display (e.g. "cable not connected)?
Does "Display Settings" recognize the monitor's presence?

Tried idea from @Snicklefritz and, unfortunately, it does the same on Mrs Mosaix's laptop as well. So it looks like a hardware fault with the monitor. I might try taking the back off to see if there's anything obvious but I don't hold out much hope.

There's a 'self-test' option on the monitor but the display doesn't stay on long enough to select it. :ROFLMAO:

Have you tried turning up the 'brightness' and/or contrast to maximum in Windows to see if you can see anything?

I have a similar problem with my second monitor. Sometimes just jiggling the thing brings it back but what always works (so far) is to change my desktop display to only show the working monitor [apply] then, when asked [Do you want to keep these settings?], click no and the second monitor switches back on.

I have a similar problem with my second monitor. Sometimes just jiggling the thing brings it back but what always works (so far) is to change my desktop display to only show the working monitor [apply] then, when asked [Do you want to keep these settings?], click no and the second monitor switches back on.
Have you tried turning up the 'brightness' and/or contrast to maximum in Windows to see if you can see anything?
Thanks, both. Tried those and everything else I could think of.

It's irritating because the thing can obviously display but only momentarily.

I don't know if you use Facebook marketplace or anything like that? Around here there are literally scores of perfectly good monitors on sale at $20 to $50. Then there is no need to feel guilty for bringing a new lump of plastic into the world.

Yes the hv supply to the lamps has probably failed. Try shining a torch at it when it is connected a few obscure angles and see if there is a weak 'ghost' image there.
As @Christine Wheelwright suggests, there are loads of monitors in charity shops etc for peanuts now. I have about 6 kicking around, from nearly square to widescreen usually a fiver in charity shops.

I had a similar problem:
the solution was to replace the monitor-too much anguish spent on trying to repair it--but I'm not much of a technician when it comes to these things.(However I gave it to a friend who is and he threw it away.)

I am usually an advocateof 'try to fix' rather than 'replace. Not primarily for cost reasons, but because it's an interesting challenge.

But in the case of a monitor or tv, I agree; if nothing works short of having to open it up, better to bin it and get another. Plenty of charity/second hand shops have decent monitors for rock bottom prices.

Not sure if this is a UK or just local thing but charity shops where I live refuse to accept or sell electrical items. So, looks like it's going to be eBay where there are quite a few 'not used but box opened' monitors at low prices.

Not sure if this is a UK or just local thing but charity shops where I live refuse to accept or sell electrical items. So, looks like it's going to be eBay where there are quite a few 'not used but box opened' monitors at low prices.
That's fine just check that the one you buy has the native screen size size that you want. Also some come on stands that you can rotate to portrait orientation and turn the image with 'ctrl alt arrow' for word processing in full page A4 format.