Cross-Volume plots and loose ends.

Flaviosky

Supporter
Hello Community,

I've been working on my WIP trying to trim down and streamline the main and sub-plots, and I've come to the point of deciding how to tackle the aftermath of the climax and resolution of the main plot, which mainly involves the protagonist (and crew) defeating the main and secondary villain in battle. The battle includes key character arc milestones of the MC, the death of a mentor character, and several heavy loaded themes, so the climax is rather dense.

The thing is, in my draft I had laid out that, during the aftermath of the battle, the MC's triumph is interrupted by her brother, known for his collaboration with the villains, who corners the weakened MC and her party but ultimately the MC prevails.

The thing is, I don't know if this intermission may feel odd to a reader wanting a satisfying ending (considering the density of the climax) or it may work as something unexpected by breaking the logical flow of the plot. Even more if the story continues in another book where this character (the MC's brother) may play a bigger role as a threat, but I fear having a sense of 'loose end' if this sub-plot is left unfinished (purposely).

I'd love to hear your opinions and experience in this topic.

Thanks in advance.